what are the best winter gloves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sbeerman, Dec 4, 2004.

1. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

I an looking for the best winter gloves for real people. I am sure most people other then homesteding people can just warm there hands in the house . But I need serious gloves made for working out doors in winter!! Thanks for your time. YOU ARE THE BEST!!

2. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Not sure how cold is cold for you, but Refrigiwear makes good gloves that I have used on the North Slope. They have a lot of insulation that makes it harder to use for fine stuff.

http://www.army-navy-store.com/g_Refrigiwear cowhide glove.htm

If you don't need that much insulation I like the fleece lined leather gloves from the hardware store.

Eric

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Recent tread on winter gloves: Best Warm Gloves

The warmest gloves that I'd every owned are snowmobiling gloves. There are extremely insulted, extremely tough and rugged, and waterproof.....many good brands are leather. Oh yeah, they're not chea!

If you don't necessary need gloves, I'd recommend leather choppers with a thick wool liner.

4. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

Thanks all, I forgot to use the search. I have been pulling mangles for the stock and the gloves I've been using get wet so add to the problem. There were lots of ideas in the other post,thanks.
    SandieOR

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Just got the www.DuluthTrading.com catalog that shows a winterproof, waterproof, insulated glove with or without gauntlet cuffs for $20/$27- which is actually a decrease in price. Wish I'd had these when I was picking apples in over 8 inches of wet snow.

6. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

MITTENS :rock:

I have carpel tunnel problems that cause nerve tingling in my hands. When they get cold it gets worse - like a zillion bees buzzing under the skin.

Mittens are the best. Each finger helps warm the other one. It's easy to "double mitten" too. Next, ski gloves but I've found that I can do everything with mittens that I can with gloves. :D

7. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

I love mitts (preferably wool). They are like mittens, but fold back so you can work on the farm without removing them. They are like half fingered gloves when you fold them back. I'm going to try to attach a link below:

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/68500/68504.jpg

8. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Welllll,,,,i like the army surplus stuff like at sportsmansguide.com or cheaperthatn dirt. admittidly, i use them for mostly driving tractors and rough outside work that does not take a lot of muniplitation of the fingers, but you can't beat the price or warmth.

9. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I work outside all winter in interior Alaska and use cheap green cotton gloves with our local hardware store's logo on them. That in combination with wool liners (the liners are the key) actually keep me warm to 40 below. I thought people were crazy when I started working up here at saw this phenomenon. We buy two dozen for 30 bucks a dozen and always have a couple of pairs warming on the dash of the truck and many pairs around the woodstove. Or if I am on foot a couple of pairs are tucked into my carhartts. It's a great thing to not really care when a glove gets lost.

10. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

The best winter gloves are called "Trigger finger mittens". Available at your army surplus store or let your mouse do the walking at Ebay.

This is a leather outer gauntlet type mitten with a wool inner liner.

I've used them outdoors in Northern Wisconsin in January in -20 temps and they work great. I have several pairs of them. The trigger finger works great if one is operating a chainsaw, swinging a hammer, etc in cold weather conditions.

Yes, they have newer synthetic materials that probably keep one warmer when its cold......but the synthetics don't hold up anywhere near as well as leather & wool.

11. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I also work outside all winter.

I use cheap knit cotton gloves inside leather work gloves. When it gets really cold I switch to lined leather work gloves, still with the cotton gloves inside.

I buy a couple dozen pairs of each, and switch them whenever they get wet. Wet ones go on the dash of the truck or by the woodstove. I throw the knit gloves in the washing machine to clean.

Cheap dry gloves will keep your hands warmer then the most expensive gloves if the expensive ones are wet or damp. Not many people would buy enough expensive gloves to ensure that a dry pair is always on hand.

Pete