What are sparkleberries?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Dolly, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Dolly

Dolly Well-Known Member

What exactly are sparkleberries, what do they taste/look like, where do they grow, and where can they be purchased?

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Never heard of sparkleberries but I think there is a variety of strawberry named Sparkle

3. dot

dot Well-Known Member

my mother has some in her yard in south alabama. they grow wild on bushes and look and taste like huckleberries to me. There is a difference but I can't remember what it is.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

5. dot

dot Well-Known Member

my mother said she thinks a sparkleberry and and a huckleberry are the same.

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Dot, your mother is quite correct. Sparkleberry and huckleberry are in the same family. Same situation as with monkeys, chimps, orangs, gorillas, and humans, all being the primate family. A difference with sparkleberry is that it can grow into a tree whereas most of that family remains short and bushy. Also, it is only hardy in the south while bush huckleberries can be found virtually at the tree line on mountainsides.

www.thefreedictionary.com/huckleberry

Martin

7. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

I know of a farmer that has sparkle stawberries--I picked some in the summer but they keep very long.They are very sweet and dead ripe . Brenda