What are some of your most satisfying accomplishments on the homestead?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I built the greenhouse. It is 12' by 16' and I built it. I can still feel the weight of the ridgpole on my shoulder as I put it into place while I stood on a chair. I remember the stiffness that I felt every morning.

Then I looked up at the plastic over my head, and I saw it moving in the wind that I did not feel, and I KNEW that I had built it!

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We bought land on the river and built everything on it ourselves: cabin, 6 stall horse barn with big hayloft, outbuildings, etc. all powered by a solar system that my husband designed. We both get a lot of satisfaction when we realize all we've accomplished over the past 3 years. With a lot more still to be built!

3. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

Last fall and this past spring I put up about 500' of fencing by myself. It is 2"x4" woven wire, 5' high, attached to metal fence posts and trees. Being a 60 year old woman, it was a job! :dance:

So far, the dogs haven't been able to get out of their area, and it seems to have kept out foxes and coyotes looking to dine on duck or goose.

4. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

hmm. Purchasing the homestead would be a big one. Seeing it in person would be another. LOL thats about all I have for now.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Setting up our homestead meant clearing our land for our horses, which was thick forest growth. It took some hard work, but we did it. Then building our barn, which is almost finished. And setting up our solar system so we could run our home business on our laptops. It is the most satisfying feeling, doing it on your own.

6. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I built our chicken house and the lean-to rabbit shed off the side of it. Not a bad job for a first project, built out of scrap wood, mostly.

7. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Just finished my milk barn. I've been racing my cow is ready to drop her calf. GLAD it's done!

8. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Not much of an accomplishment other than longevity, but if I make it to next April, I can say I've spent 70 years on the home farm. "Growing" four great kids on this land has been the most satisfying accomplishment. Making a go of it all these years and then building my herd of Registered Holsteins are significant doin's as well.

When we moved on to the place, there was a small barn and the pump house. Now, we have 28 buildings, four silos and six grain bins. We've got one wall in the front room covered with a family picture each year at Christmas, and another wall that has an aerial picture of the farm every year from 1957 on. Probably spent more than we should on those pictures, but I don't get to look at the place that way and you can trace all of the building and improvements this way.

9. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Greenhouse, hoophouse and raised beds. And all of those pretty jars in the pantry and cabinets. That salsa is going to be real good this winter!

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Reworked 50ft of rusty T.V. tower!

and Cleaned the house! :clap:

11. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Mine involve the animals we've raised, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens. I'd love to get a milk animal but as I get older I find there's only so much energy to go around! (I work full-time) Of course, there's also putting in the garden, making apple sause and juice etc. I think that the things that give one the most pleasure are the things you're able to do for your family and others!

12. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I'm amazed all we've been able to get done in 7 years. A 8kw diesel generator for emergency power backup (installed & wired to our power pole), a 300 gal fuel barrel of diesel, a nice Case diesel tractor, a backhoe/loader; we dug a 2 acre pond and stocked it with fish, build a chicken house & pen and have a thriving flock, got bows & arrows and have become fairly proficient with our target practicing, paid our farm off and bought another 80 adjoining acres which has another well on it.

Now if we can get solar & wind power installed along with a battery bank, we'll be pretty set. Oh! And a milk goat or two.

13. MONTANAKATE

MONTANAKATE New Member

Rebuilding An Old Log Cabin, Rechinking Inside And Out, Cooking Eggs, Sausage, Pancakes And Coffee ... Watching The Snow Drift In On The Continental Divide ... All Last Week.

14. heather

heather Well-Known Member

That's pretty COOL to trace your accomplishments that way!

We are just starting our homesteading adventure on our new property

But our accomplishments to date include clearing about 175+ white pines for our home spot - logs up to be used for garage next year

Plus, we had a pretty nice garden for not even living there this summer!

Looking forward to many more accomplishments to come -
    I'm enjoying reading what everyone has done -
    We've got some energetic people on this board!

15. shellbug

shellbug Well-Known Member

getting our orchard planted (cut down by someone 2 yrs later)

learning how to catch wild bees (our hive didn't stay but we learned a lot)

working out our "Hanging system" for our rabbit cages using tee posts and welded "hangers" - works real well!

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

One thing I failed to mention that is probably on the list of 'most satisfying' developments for this property is the planting of about 3 thousand tree seedlings on the north side which are mostly about 15 to 20 ft. tall now. These are red pine, scots pine, white spruce, and against the back woodlot a row of jackpine. All were 2 year transplants from the forest service except the scot pine that were bought from a private nursery (french stock for this zone) and the jackpine seedlings were 'throwaways' from the local nursery (500 of them) that grew just fine, thank you. .....and a great windbreak along with the few norway spruce and siberian pear trees closer to the house making great additions for the song birds also.

17. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I've got to say, raising our own food, then processing it for storage, whether it is frozen meat, canned beans & berries and raising chicks/poults we hatched in our incubator. Plus, keeping the fencing sound to keep all these critters alive and healthy, that is the MOST satisfying to me!

18. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Of All Time
    Leaving the City, building our log cabin, breaking and getting under cultivation at first 34 acres, and then getting title to our home quarter -- homesteading.

[​IMG]
    Our Log Cabin Today, well . . . last month, with cut oat and hay crop -- just before baling.

Recently
    Skidding two 16' x 16' x 8' high, plus peaked roof sheds 3/4 of a mile down the road to our quarter, from the neighbor's quarter, who gave them to us. We are going to join the two of these they gave us together, cut out the backs of each, put in a big door, and have a 32'x 16' garage-shop-shed -- just for the fun of doing it.

[​IMG]
    Me in F150 in 4WL and low skidding 16 x16 shed back, two weeks ago -- we loaded the back full with that pine and spruce we got -- for extra traction -- it worked like a charm -- only wore out two skidding cables.

Oh and growing our garden, with no-till, and drip irrigation – though we didn’t need that much extra water this year. And we got a decent crop and our garden was nice.

[​IMG]
    Potatoes, peas, and wild flowers last month, no till – third year, drip irrigation, gone for three weeks in July.

That’s it for now – more to come, hopefully.

Alex

19. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

You guuuuys! (That's me whining), I am SO jealous!!! Boy, I thought canning peaches for the first time was a major accomplishment. I have a looong way to go.

Very inspirational, all of you, thank you!

Beaux

20. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

As Ms. Beaux states, there are lots of success stories that inspire the rest of us to keep going. I've got the house and garage built, but the barn, orchards, and garden are all works in progress. However, they are started. The orchard sites are mostly cleared and much of the wood that was felled in the clearing of them is being sawed to construct the barn. I'm trying to narrow the list of apple trees now and hope to begin planting this Spring. The barn footings should be in before a hard freeze hits this far south, and we oftentimes can build in the winter months here. The nut orchard will be the last to go in (which is unfortunate given the time it takes to get them to harvest), but I've got three huge brush piles in the way just now. The garden is on it's "umpteenth" green manure planting, and the sandy soil is getting blacker with each planting/turning. A brother and I are clearing some fence lines, and that is likely to get more attention once the weather moderates. Bees are also in the plan, but that is likely the last project on the list right now. Darn list just keeps growing, and I've/we've only got the weekends to work on it.