Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is an obvious down time for many of us, but there are still things to do.

IM taking care of my dads cattle, moms sheep and my milk cow that is with his cows while he is gone for the winter. It takes abuot an hour every night after I get home from work to fill thier water tank,drain the hose and I have to feed hay from a round bale to the dozen feeder calves he keeps in the barn. The cows eat from round bale feders out in a feed lot near the barn. I only have to start the tractor on the weekends to fill the feeders, and put a couple bales into the barn for the calves. Moving snow and maintaining the plow truck is a continuous chore. We dried my milk cow up right before dad left so I dont have to be in the barn twice a day.

What is everyone els doing?

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
What are we doing? Same as every day :) Put on skiis. Ski out to chicken coops. Water the chickens. Feed the chickens. Gather eggs. Feed us. Get some coffee. Feed me again. ;) Plow the drive. Fix stuff. Build more stuff so that we can fix it later.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Getting ready for icefishing, snowmobiling and snowshoeing. Could use some more cold days and more snow, tho.

6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cut most of my firewood during the winter too. I spend a couple hours every second, or third weekend cutting firewood. I hate doing it in the heat of the summer, and it get me out of the house so I dont get cabin fever.

I havent ice fished in years. I should get back to that again. My father in law who is from NC joked, "I wanna know how you get the boad in the water".

·
Registered
464 Posts
Right now we are working on getting things ready for Christmas. Trying to spend some time going through all the seed catalogs that are arriving daily. Dh is going out with our son with the muzzle loader, still working on getting his deer. We are making applesauce and canning up some stew beef.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Moving snow, thawing water, moving more snow, fixing tractor so we can move snow. Teaching my new mule stuff mules need to know., collecting eggs before they freeze... did I mentioned moving snow? I plan on making some new nest boxes for the chickens and some chicken tractors as well over the winter Lots of plans if only it would stop snowing...

6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moving snow, thawing water, moving more snow, fixing tractor so we can move snow. Teaching my new mule stuff mules need to know., collecting eggs before they freeze... did I mentioned moving snow? I plan on making some new nest boxes for the chickens and some chicken tractors as well over the winter Lots of plans if only it would stop snowing...
aint that the truth.

The water pipe that feeds the barn is burried 7 feet in the ground, and if we dont keep the ground above it insulated with snow it will freeze. Its tough getting around the barn yard with a pile of snow splitting the barn yard in half.

...but at least Im not sweating

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well,when we lived in MI,there always seemed to be a connection between the weather and the amount of babies being born in the late summer/early fall.LOL

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I still consider winter the relaxing time of the year. It only means you do as much as you can indoors instead of outdoors. I grew up on a grain farm, and winter was the time to get the machinery fixed up (in the heated shop) and after that was done, one could read, or watch some TV, or spend time with family.

Mostly I spend the winter doing indoor work. Cleaning, painting, needlework and sewing, reading, lots of extra baking too. Sure there are the chores that need to be done, but the "work" switches to indoor activities. Except I want to build a greenhouse, but that is sort of inside as I'm converting a building and not building one.

Winter - when you don't want to pour cement, put up shingles and can't dig holes or pound fence posts. It's always a bit of a rush to see just how much I can get done before the weather turns. This year it turned early, so a lot got left and I'll pick it back up in the spring (garden didn't get turned, grass should have been cut one more time).

But the wood has to be cut and stacked regardless - that is for this weekend.

When my DH complains in the summer about the amount of work, I tell him he can rest come winter (he is usually unemployed when it's cold out). There is just too much you can't do in the winter!

Cathy

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Sewing, reading, wasting time on the Internet, drooling over seed catalogs and planning next year's garden, shoveling snow, shoveling snow again, shoveling snow yet again, cursing having to drive on slick roads and idiot drivers who don't slow down, praising DOT for good job clearing highways and wondering why the city where I work doesn't seem to know how to plow their streets and why the landlord at the office never sands the parking lot. This week its Christmas cards and New Year's weekend it will be organizing papers for taxes and planning next year's budget. I never run out of things to do or books to read.

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
FREEZING! I hate the cold. :(

I also spend a good part of it cursing at myself for not getting everything done before the cold hits. Like covering the locks up with new flaps to keep the rain from freezing inside said locks. For not stocking up on road salt. For not buying those tire gripper thingies for the car wheels in early fall (because now they're all sold out and no restock coming!), for not finishing the dog fence.

Now I remember again why I hate winter......frozen water pails, chipping ice away from gates, knocking ice off door handles, walking like a penguin to keep from falling, hauling hay bales through snow, getting icy wind blasts in the face, frozen fingers, toes, and everything in between (mostly fingers, though, because I hate wearing gloves unless I really have to), chapped and cracked knuckles.

What can ya do? Get the chores done asap and get back inside to warm up til next time. :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well here in zone 3 it's darn cold about 3 above right now there calling for -10 tonight
So our big thing is frozen water all the time.That and cutting firewood.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Well here in Nh we do the same chores everyday. Just winter has added its own twist,, like ice so i spend time picking myself up off the ground, thinking of about 3 hours ago when I decided to make a not so graceful fall. We are having that nice weather everyone else is getting. But all the animals are closer to the house in winter. Cows stay in the barn all winter only because i dont have any way to just let them go in and out at will. Horse only go out when its decent walking for them, we have to lead them up to the pasture. Hoping next yr their pasture close to the barn will be done,, just ran out of time this yr. Pigs are in 2 different shelter right in the yard, I have to haul water already, its doesnt usually freeze this early but we are remodeling the barn so it isnt totally closed in and water froze. But my long garden hose does run to pig pen from the house and i fill the 5 gallon buckets for the cows and horse and lug it to them. In side I do alo my craft, sewing, baking, knitting. Not much down time.

·
Missin Sweet Home Alabama
879 Posts
Well I am still swamped with work in the shop, so I don't have time for the normal winter activities this year.
So I am just working on guns and waiting on construction season to get here so I can start working on the new place again.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Still got chores. Still got 75 acres of corn to get off. Got a 2 day commodity marketing course next week. Fixing things that are broken. Breaking things that weren't. Waiting for the ground to freeze hard enough to get some logging done, hoping to get at least 100 cords of wood cut to sell this winter while the price is good. Paperwork.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts