What are must haves for goat start up

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Apr 9, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I will be getting my first goats in mid-May. (2 little bottlefed ND boys!) We have the shelter area setup. But what things have you found as must haves for start up as far as meds to have on hand, etc? I want to be as prepared as possible as I plan to grow my herd over the next couple of years!

Thanks!
    Christie
    (We are located in MO!)

2. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Good question!!! :clap:
    I am curious, too, as Wilhelm and I will be purchasing some dairy goats this summer.

71 days to go....... :sing:
    Kitty

3. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

Milking stand, some good plans on the internet for free, I made mine for less than $50.00 out of good sturdy materials 2x4s and 3/4" plywood ans 1"X8"s for the locking mechanism for their heads. use a GOOD paint as I don't see how you can keep it clean otherwise. Get this taken care of LONG before milking and train your does to love being up there. Make sure there's always some nice treat in that attached feed pan, (I used a thrift store aluminum loaf pan, screwed in on with drywall screws, cost $.15).Not for use strictly for milking, good for shots, drenching, hoof trimming/treating. I had one pretty good sized doe with a GIANT abscess on her back heel from a Locust thorn(finally got it out), I could NOT have taken care of this no matter how tame she was without the most important feature of the stand, the locking device for her head. Don't leave this off and don't think its cruel. It's also very helpful in getting reluctant does to feed their kids. Captive audience. Really easy to make,many, many uses and not too expensive. Don't forget, you will need it when you milk too. I made my deck bigger than the plans, that gives me room to sit when I milk, much more comfy.
    Stock up on extra syringes and needles too, and if you're giving your own vaccines make sure you have them before you think you will need them.
    Freeze colostrum in 4-5tbsp quantities from your first freshing does. I use small zip lock bags. This is really a life saver at times.
    Meds? best to check with the vet, but one standby is a good long lasting pennicillin, most feed stores around here have PLENTY of common meds. Many types of wormers, several vaccines. All can be ordered online if they're not readily available where you live. check with your vet to see what others in your area are using, that usually is what works best.
    Garage space for all vehicles and sturdy trash cans with locking lids if you let your goats free range.
    a good dry place for your goats. Most goats will catch pneumonia pretty quick if cold and wet. They're sturdy but not indestuctable.
    Last but not least, LOTS of patience. The word capricious... comes to mind as a very descriptive adjective..(also curious, destructive and buttheaded)from the Latin word for GOAT! Soon you'll be enjoying the caprine experience.

4. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

A good fence they can be quite the escape artist

5. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Thats no kiding. They can get out of most anything.

I guess they have nothing but time to think about it.

When we buried our last goat Billy. The wife asked me on the ride home on the tractor. "You don't think he will get out of there do ya?" It was funny and we both giggled.

That dang goat would get out of a locked barn given time.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Do not cheap out on the fencing and housing. Very important! If there is one single 'soft spot' they will find it! And if you plan to get horned goats, make sure the spacing on the fencing doesn't allow for your goats getting thier heads stuck IN the fence. This can be quite deadly if not caught quickly. Not to mention a neuscance, They seem to want to get caught on the coldest day of winter. They never cooperate with you either. They seem to think that them being trapped is somehow your doing and will struggle and fight with you. For them, the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Just a thought.It will be hard to start a herd with two boys. I started my herd with two GIRLS.

8. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Dee, I was thinking the SAME thing! LOL!

I second the fencing! I also keep supplies on hand like:
    Albon Tablets for Cocci treatment
    Syringes, needles
    Antibotics
    Bloat meds
    Tubing
    Nutridrench
    Pro-Bios
    BoSE
    VitB
    Wormer - Ivomectin Plus or Panacur
    Weak Kid Syringe
    I know it sounds like a lot, but I have never regretted having what I do on hand. If I haven't needed it on Saturday about 9 p.m. it's been one of my fellow goat breeders!

9. daytrader

Its great to have on hand. Just for me. It would go out of date before I ever used it.

10. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Why?? :confused:

70 days to go......... :sing:
    Kitty

11. christij

About starting with two boys... I plan on getting some bred does in the fall or spring... right now I have a 2 month old baby girl so I want to take things slow and get use to having goats. =)

12. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

What to have on hand? A GOOD sense of humor!!! They will make you laugh, but boy howdy, they can make you cry, too! Sick goat, goat ate my roses, goat climbed on the hood of the neighbor's car, goat ate the neighbor's prize roses, etc. All memories from a life with bad fences. Nowadays, fences are good and the memories are good ones.

13. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I started with 3 wethers, because I'd never had goats and I wanted to see what it was like before I invested a lot of money. Well, I still have them, and 3 more. I love my little boys but if I had to do it again I would probably get does instead. And have the fences ready before you bring them home. And expect to become addicted to goats!!

14. 3SistersFarm

3SistersFarm Well-Known Member

I too started with pure bred ND (w/papers)-three does in DEC 05, bought one preg, one maybe preg (was) now just 4 months later I have more boys than girls. Boys seem to come easier, or it could just be my luck.
    I suggest buying a preg one, not a firsttimer either. An experience mamma even helped my other firsttimer. I swear the experienced mamma was reprimanding the newbie when she wasn't showing interesting in her new kids.

Tee in central IL-

15. christij

I know I would probably should start out with does but my daughter demands to be first priorty 24/7 since I am breastfeeding and she REFUSES to take the bottle - already in control she is! So I don't want to bite off more than I can chew with having a doe that would be kidding anytime in the near future! Although, I would love to have the fresh goat's milk.

16. daytrader

I have one goat. She gose to the vet. I plan on doing my own for the sheep, BUT still have the vet come out. He is only under 1 mile away and ia a farm animal vet. More cost effective for me.

I am no vet. I really have little knowlege in that stuff. I can see healthy from unhealth. Thats it. I try to watch diet and provide the best I can. When it comes to shots and stuff. I would rather pay a pro for it. I have no knowlege AND do not want to about that stuff. He is cheap and very good. One less head ache.

Now, if I did not have this opertunity. I sure as heck would learn alot more about it and keep needs on hand.