What and where are they?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nodak3, Jan 5, 2005.

1. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking for those tacky looking but very effecient plastic curtains you used to get a few years ago to line your curtains. You turned them one way in the winter to block heat loss, the other in the summer to block heat gain. You could still get light and see out. Anyone know where to get them?

2. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

If you talking about those liners for drapes..you are going back a lot of years! If you have a regular size window...the hardware store has a kit to insulate windows that works pretty good. There is two-sided tape you put along the window frame...stick the sheet of plastic to it on all sides and then use a hairdryer to shrink it tight! Works Great! :D

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Amen,
    The plastic windows do work as we used them last year before we got new double pane windows.

We used the kind that after mounted on the doublesided tape I would run hot air from a hair dryer over them and tighten them up.

I still buy them in the summer at discount price to use on our ceiling mounted whole house fan in the winter.

4. nodak3

Yep, I know those kits work well in winter--problem is, I am looking for something to block solar heat gain in the summer without blocking all the light. Low e film won't work on our windows as per the manufacturer, and besides, it blocks heat gain year round, and I want it in the winter.

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

6. nodak3

Angie--thanks, but not what I am hunting. The silver backed ones block the light, and due to S.A.D. I cannot do that. What I am hunting are the plastic, sort of blueish ones you can see through that allow the light in, just not heat and uv rays. Look sort of like low 3 film but you hang them.

7. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Ok...go to http://www.jcpenney.com and take a look at their curtains and shades. They have a roller shade named "Mylar Shade". This may be similiar to what you are looking for. They also have other shades...cellular pleated...etc. that may work for you. Sounds like you are actually looking for a product like they use in the retail business on their large storefront windows. You might try searching the Web for shade cloth or shade products.

8. nodak3

Will check out the mylar shade. My bro says my mom got those things from one of those pitiful junk stuff catalogues. You know, the kind with all the kitchy claptrap--but they work great. The shades, etc especially the honeycomb kind, block the view. With these things you had your view just as if you had low e film on, but could open them when you wanted the heat. You still need curtains for privacy. Ya'll watch for em if you get one of those junky catalogues, please!