What and how to finish my coop

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CurrentWave, Apr 23, 2005.

1. CurrentWave

CurrentWave ~ Country Dreaming ~

Okay I've been searching the web and searching, even searched here, but I cannot find the info I seek - so here goes a post...

I want a non-toxic, one-job wood finish for my chicken coop. Now I find non-toxic wood sealer (good) but it only lasts two years (bad) and I cannot find it in my area so I have to pay $8 shipping and wait (bad).

I don't know why and when to use sealer, stain, oil or paint - this is getting very complicated. I really don't want to 'paint' a messy coop in two years!! Or in four years for that matter... I just want to protect the wood.

Everything I am finding on this subject is either way to toxic (VOC's galore!) or it involves way to much over management. I can't imagine good homesteaders putting up with poisoning their land, families and chickens nor painting their coops every other year - come on!

Sooooooooo I put it to you - what is the low budget, low maintenance, low management solution?

Thanks for the wisdom,

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

What kind of wood is the exterior made of?

3. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Lowes has a Barn and Fence paint thats sposed to be safe around animals.Comes in red and white.

4. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Current Wave,

Outside treat the wood with used motor oil. If you change your own oil it is available and the price is right. Makes a nice finish and may need recoating when it starts to look rough. Once it dries and is absorbed into the wood the "toxicity" is pretty minimal. And it looks better than paint and lasts longer.

Inside the chicken house paint with whitewash every year after a thorough cleaning.

bearkiller

5. CurrentWave

CurrentWave ~ Country Dreaming ~

The wood is pine I think. I got it from Lowe’s.

About the oil... would pure Tung oil work for the outside? The reason I ask is it is suppose to be non-toxic and do about the same thing as the motor oil, and I have some.

About the paint... I will check into what my Lowe’s has, thanks for the lead.

About the whitewash... what is whitewash? Could I use a milkpaint recipe I have for this? The down side to milkpaint is that it is porous and will be extra hard to clean, grabbing and holding onto 'dirt'. But I like the idea of milkpaint :) cheep, natural and user friendly.

What is involved in cleaning before repainting? Does the whole thing have to be scrapped or sanded?

Off subject a bit - what would be the best thing to sit the wood base frame on to help the wood last? I'm sure sitting on dirt will be hard on the wood, so would putting some gravel just under the wood frame help or is it just about the same as doing nothing at all?

Thanks for all your help -