What amount of goat milk for a jersey calf?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by astrocow, Apr 9, 2006.

1. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

We got our first Jersey bull calf a few days ago and despite being careful not to overfeed him I must have because he got scours today. I've read that some people have successfully raised them on goats milk. I am considering switching from milk replacer to goats milk and would like to know from those of you that have done it, how much goats milk did you feed per day, how many times per day and how much at each feeding? My little calf is 9 days old and weighs 75 pounds.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

When we were raising calves on goats milk we fed them a 1/2 gallon morning and evening but with a calf as young as yours and that small....I would start them out on about a quart three times a day and *slowly* up it. Slowly being the key word. Three times a day is good for them if you can, but you can cut them back to twice a day as they get older if you need too. We usually didn't feed three times a day past three weeks old.....

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Any thoughts on fostering the calf right onto the goat?

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Very bad idea!! Goats udders are much thinner skinned and more delicate than a cows, not to mention attached to a body much smaller. Even with a small calf, it would quickly outgrow the goat......and you know how calves butt the bottle or the cow.......OUCH!!! Its a great way to seriously harm or ruin a goats udder. And mastitis from the rough treatment is a given.

5. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

I won't put the calf onto the goat, he would knock her off her feet. I'm pretty sure if allowed to he would completely drain her udder of that rich milk and never get over the scours from all that he would consume.