What alternatives do you use for deoderant?

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by largentdepoche, Nov 15, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I'm noticing that anti-perspirants and just plain old deoderant are making my armpits swell like crazy!

I smell like a spicy burrito left in the sun without deoderant LOL!

Are there any good alternatives that stop the stink and won't hurt the pH of my skin?

I have just started to spray the underarms of the shirts I wear, it works for a time. I can't spray stuff directly into my armpits because they dry out and all.

Any help would be apprecited :D

Signed the Stinky One,
    Katrina

2. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

I just use apple cider vinegar and water. I have a little two-ounce glass bottle and I put about a tablespoon of ACV in and top it off with water, then apply with a cotton ball. It won't stop you from sweating, but the ACV kills germs, so the smell's not there, plus it balances your skin PH while it's at it.

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but that's what I use. :)

~Lannie

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

LOL! :p Psssst - Stinky! Have you tried one of those crystal deodorants? I think they work Ok during the winter and not-so-stinky times but not sure about when more protection is needed.

4. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

The crystals work great and for those really stinky days just pat on alittle baking soda, helps take the stink right away.

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I've used one of the crystals for about 5 years now and it works great for me. You still sweat some if it's really hot out but I don't stink. tyusclan momma

6. largentdepoche

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

I was going to buy a deo crystal but I couldn't find one anywhere locally last year. I think I'm going to give into Vermont Country Store and get one there.

I am going to try the vinegar, thanks for that! :)

I'm allergic to baking soda so I have to be careful with that. I swell up like a Pufferfish with that stuff LOL!

Hubby and I have an outbreak of cold sores ( I love to tease him by saying he gave me Herpes lol :D) so my immune system is going haywire, that probably contributes to the swelling of my armpits and all.

Thanks again! :D

Kat

7. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

YOu can try some corn starch. It keeps things really dry - and does not generally upset the skin's pH balance. It doesn't do a lot for the odor, but it does do some for the moisture - adn if things aren't too hot and sticky, moisture supression can work as well as anything - since the little stinkers need moisture to grow and give off their stink.....

I have a hard time believing that you are actually alergic to baking soda itself.....there just isn't a biochemical mechanism for that to happen tha tI am aware of....what it much more likley is that the manufacturers have used something to make the baking soda that you are alergic to. You can do some lookign about and see if you can find some made naturally, or from a natural source.....or check out some different manufacturers. Another theory is that you react to the particulate shape - baking soda is a sharp little sandy bit in it's powder form...lots of people find it "itchy" could be that you are just a little bit more sensitive to the itch....

The deodorant crystals are a great idea - you can get little ones too - so you can "refresh" during the day. BUt, they are not always so nice on irritated skin...and some people actually do react.

One other tactic is to moisten a cotton ball with some salt water....(add salt until it tastes like teh ocean) and apply that...but the rerystalized salt can someitmes be an irritant.

8. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

How do you figure someone can't be allergic to baking soda? :shrug: People can be allergic to many things others can't. Nuts, bee stings, ceder, tomato and many other things cause a reaction. Just depends on the person. Some things cause a higher reaction in more people then other things do.

9. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a natural powder with tea tree in it, and occasionally a crystal. I use the crystal when I really need protection, but if I use it constantly it tends to irritate my skin.

One of the things the dermatologist told me to do when I found out I was allergic to antiperspirant was to make sure that the soap stayed under my armpits for at least 15-30 seconds in order to kill the bacteria that will cause odor. I did find this to help me tremendously as I previously washed and rinsed right away.

Dawn

10. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

I did not say that someone could not be alergic to baking soda. I said that I had a hard time believing that it was baking soda (solium bicarbonate) that was causign the reaction.

While it is not TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE for someone to be alergic to baking soda - the chemical compound is SO SMALL, compared to others, and it's hydration product (what happens when it's put into any liquid with water as it's base) is something that is completly assimilated by the human body. Furthermore, it is a compound that is used IN the body as a buffer.

Someone alergic to baking soda would most likley be having MANY dietary problems, in that SO MANY foods contain the compound. There are about 20 different names for sodium bicarbonate and it's derivatives that are used in food production.

It is not impossible - BUT it is MUCH more likely that either baking soda is causing a toxicity reaction (getting too much in the system) or my initial assertion that some compound used to manufacture or purify the baking soda is actually causing an alergic or toxic reaction (like one of the anticaking agents, or something..and don't be fooled - they are not all on the ingredients list.

Another possibility with baking soda is that the compound is not totally disolved in water leaving actual particles of the solid suspended in solution. Baking soda solids are sharp crystals that are often irritating to the skin - that's why some baking soda detergents make clothes so itchy - it's the crystals irritating the skin. In some people, that irritation causes a skin swelling that mimics a topical allergy.

Anyway - the point is that it is highly unlikley that someone would be activly alergic to sodium bicarbonate.....It's a statistical thing.....

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the vinegar. It works. I've used the crystals, but you have to be careful to dry them after each use. If they get damp, they get pits in them, OUCH!

12. largentdepoche

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have found my armpits quit swelling after I got some penicillian, I must of had an "all around" infection. I am back to using Tussy until I can locate some vinegar and things that haven't went old in our house LOL!

Kat

13. Janette

Janette Well-Known Member

I use the crystal. I was having a problem with being smelly under the breasts, and this eliminated that problem. I got a Crystal via a mail-order and had it in the house a few years before I dared use it. It came in a small blue pouch. The instructions that came with it said that it could take a few days before you notice it working. Well, I couldn't afford to be underarm smelly for a few days, so I hesitated. And then, finally, I took the plunge and tried it...it worked IMMEDIATELY and I haven't looked back since. Ya just wet the crystal and use it where needed. You can now get them at the drugstore where deodorant is sold.

HTH :)

14. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have a hard time with deoderants and was happy to see this thread! I will try the crystal....and maybe the apple cider vinegar too. I'm using a deoderant without any anti-persperant, but it's kind of useless - smells good at first, but doesn't last long...

I've even gone so far as to use alcohol (rubbing) to kill odor, but it does have to be rinsed off or it is too strong.

Niki

15. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Thanks for starting this thread.

I used to use the crystal, but since it was alum based, I stopped. I don't wish to use alum or aluminum based products.

I switched to handmade deo sticks/balms from some fellow soap-makers, which worked very well, but I then had an empty plastic container that I couldn't recycle. I'm seriously trying to cut down on the packaging that we purchase, so this alternative wasn't so good either. Ideally, I could try making something of my own and re-use this container.

I then bought a cream deo from an Aussie soapmaker which comes in a tin, which is good for recycling. Dip your finger in and apply it. It worked well, but everytime I opened the tin, the air got to the remaining cream and it seemed to dry quickly. Plus, the shipping from Austrailia was not cheap.

So, I've been kind of stumpted as to what to use. Thanks for all the suggestions.

16. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

I have been using/testing several different brands of deo for the last several years. Tried products from Natures Gate, Kiss My Face and Jason Naturals. I was disappointed when I found out I was allergic to the active enzemes in a new product from Kiss My Face as it worked really well, until I broke out in a terrible rash.

What I am using now is one of the stick deos from Jason Naturals, it works darn good even in the summer.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.jason-natural.com/products/deodorants.php

I had used crystals at one time, but like Charleen I don't want alum any where near me! The three companies I mentioned above are where I get all my personal grooming products from, I hate putting chemicals on my skin!

Margie

17. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Plain cornstarch powder works most of the time. Use Zeasorb powder, which has an antifungal in it, at other times. This prevents yeast from growing & for me, that is the usual culprit.

18. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

My brother-in-law told me to use rubbing alcohol on a swab. I use it every day now and it works great. Bet it would burn if you had a scape, though!!!

19. Rogo

Rogo Well-Known Member

I've never been to this site on Homesteading, but this subject got my attention - and a way to experiment even more with DE.

I use food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) for so many things besides feeding it to the critters and taking it myself that I'm now doing an experiment. I've used the same commercial anti-perspirant/deodorant forever with no problems.

When DE is spread in the poultry pens it eliminates odor. DE is used to clean up large spills. So maybe it would work on our wetness/odors? I live in the sunbelt and we sweat all year around. I bought a powder puff thingy that is used for makeup. Since the DE is a powder, I apply it with my arm over the sink. Now this won't work for folks who wear sleeveless clothing unless you don't mind the powder showing, but I don't wear that type of clothing.

So far, so good, but I'd like to go a few more days before recommendation.

20. Janette

Janette Well-Known Member