what after green beans?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SherrieC, Aug 8, 2006.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I'm pulling my green bean plants tomorrow as they are about spent. They are right between t'maters and squash. What would be a good crop to sow in that spot? I never have yet tried a fall garden :shrug:
    Thanks Sherrie

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

How 'bout some broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce mix or more beans?

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

plant some more beans.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

sherrie i started my first fall garden this year too :)
    how about corn salat? this will be a salat you can harvest in winter on days where is no snow. that is what i'm trying. also beets need only short time to get ready to harvest before frost.

what about peas? they should be ready before first frost too. i got this idea from steven richter when he came for appraisal.
    another idea would be kohlrabi. i don't know if you have eaten it yet but it is very nice raw, little bit like apple,or saouteed (sp) with butter or even pickled.

i guess cauliflower is too late for our climate. for next year i'm planing broussel sprout since they are better tasting if they had frost. also kale is a nice winter veggie that is harvestet til january /february.

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If the bean plants are still reasonably healthy and green, water them good and leave them be. They've stopped producing because of the heat and will start again after a week or so of daytime temperatures in the 70s. Then they will continue producing for as long as you keep picking or grow tired of picking, whichever comes first!

Martin

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Too late Martin! : )
    allright I've got all the beans out and it hoe'd.
    I didn't know if I could put beans again in it. If I can I'ld do that first! Maybe I could sow beets and beans are they compainions? then I could just weed once and harvest twice....
    I love kohlrabi, and beets, and peas I guess I'll have to check and see what seeds I have.
    Another reason why I did this is I just don't have the time to pick beans right now, busy, busy, busy, much quicker to pull whole row and pluck beans off the plant and put plants in compost. If I wasn't so busy yes, I'ld have left them.

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

beans and beets are going together. still i would not sow beans in the same spot to prevent diseases.

8. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

not beans, don't plant the same plant in the same hole. after beans I would plant some green like collards or kale, or cornsalad, something leafy.

9. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Sherrie,

I'm in Indiana too and I'm going to be planting more beans this weekend. I figured if there is a chance they'll get frost I'll just cover them on those nights. We haven't gotten as much as I'd like for the winter yet. :)

10. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I always plant peas after my beans.