What about this product?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Trixie, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

At an estate sale, I bought the contents of a utility room. In this lot was a container of "FC 301 Mineral & Milkstone remover and alternate daily cleaner"

Evidently this is for cleaning milk tanks and maybe cows bags.

There are really no ingredients listed, it does say it is 'High Suding, Gentle to the Skin, Organic Acids and Synthetic detergents, Non toxic and non corrosive in use dilutions".

It must be pretty strong as the dilution is 1/2 teaspon to 3 gallons of water for sanitation.

I know this would make one think it is very safe, but just wonder if it would be safe to use for household cleaning, as in floors or bathrooms?

It does say 'avoid contamination of foods.'

Anyone familiar with this product?

Thanks

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with this brand of milkstone remover but I have used another brand. They can be really highly acid. I would use care with it, and most certainly would not use it on an udder. When they say alternative daily cleaner, they are talking about the milking equipment (tanks and pails) I have used it to clean lime out of tea kettles.

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

It's an acid-wash detergent - milkstone is the build-up you get when milk and hard water combine. I sure wouldn't use it on anybody's udder! No reason you couldn't use it in regular household cleaning though - probably great for scrubbing the bathroom if you've got hard water (like us :grump: )

4. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks.

I don't have cows and wouldn't use it on my cows anyway.

But thanks for warning me.

I just thought if it could be used for cleaning bathrooms, etc., I would use it. At 1/2 teaspoons to 3 gallons, it would last for years as a cleaner. I hated to not use it if it was usable. I wasn't sure what to do with it if it wasn't.

Thanks for such quick answers.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

just do not add any choline! they react by giving off a toxic corosive gas! a little village near by us was closed down and evacuated some years back when an employie mistakenly pour a small amount of clorine into the acid, gas cload formed and the ground around the pail of milkstone remover was taken away(three tandem truck loads). use rubber gloves and goggles when using.

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

You could always sell it on ebay!

7. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Oh, gee!!

I might not want to use this.

Also, I am not sure what to do with it. I don't want to put it in the landfill, don't want to dump it on my place.

I may find me a dairy farmer and see if they want it.

8. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

If you use it and it causes a problem big or little just how much did you save, do not use unknown chemicals. If you can not find out from the manufactor just what you have and how to use it dispose of it.

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

milkstone.....I havent heard that word in...WHEW, 10 years

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

dairy farmers have used this product for years! straight, not mixed with any other substance its fine, sort of a high strength clr. removes lime, rust scale and many other hard too clean dirt. using goggles and gloves with bleach and acids should be second nature, i had too as the new skin on wounds was very easily damaged! it is a safe effective cleaner when used properly, know some people that use gasoline as a cleaner/thinner when painting! never mix what you do not know is ok!

11. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Thanks, I asked because I didn't know.

I feel sure it is safe for what it was designed for and certainly using protective gear is always best.

The question was could it be used other than to clean milking equipment? I will use it for cleaning lime deposits, etc. -

Thanks, everyone

12. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

It'll clean your stainless steel stock pots too! Use carefully and as Fordy noted, do NOT mix with bleach/chlorine!