What about pigeons?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Karin L, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

Since the squirrel thread's about love em or hate em, I was thinking, what about pigeons (or doves, whatever you want to call them).

Do you like them or hate them?

For me, I loathe them...they crap all over the place, for one.

2. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

SSS

Shoot, Skin & Scarf.

3. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Those are flying rats and should be treated as such.

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Encourage a Chinese Restaurant to open close to you :)

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I like the sounds they make, and enjoy listening to them in the silo.
    Their poo is easy to scoop up and put on the flower beds (once we managed to get them out of the hayloft.)

They certainly are cheap to feed ($0.00) and just keep makin' more. What a dream... :angel:
    I've been thinking about using them for dog food on the raw-meaty-bone diet.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We raise what is known as white rock doves, fast multiplying, tasty, and easy to keep. Got a cage full right now, soon they will go to freezer camp.

7. MyHomesteadName

MyHomesteadName Well-Known Member

mmmmmmmmmmmm.....dove meat.

Never tried pigeon, heard they aren't as good. Anyone, anyone?

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

My mother-in-law made wonderful pigeon soup. We live about 1/2 a mile from the rice mill, so they are well fed and plump!

9. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

I have a barn full of them. They keep me company when I'm working in there. When I shovel there sh.t I want to shoot them but then I remember that they were there first. I built a little roof that goes over where I keep things like tractors and hay so their poo is easier to clean. I never ate one, how to you catch them?

10. Ford8N

Ford8N Well-Known Member

I had a bunch of them in my barn when I bought my farm. I had to use a pellet gun to shoot them as a real gun would damage the roof. It takes about 3 shots to bring them down then you have to finish them off with a club or shovel.

You dont want them in the barn at all. They are nearly as bad of disease carriers as rats and their crap can give you horrible respiratory infections. A pigeon is the only bird I can think of that will create a nest entirely of it's own feces. They are the worst varmints to have around and should be taken care of ASAP.

11. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I love the mourning doves, we don't have many pigeons here though, I don't miss them as I used to live in the city and think they are flying rats. Yuck, I would never eat a pigeon. And the doves I don't think I would eat either, they mate for life don't they?

12. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

LOVE Em -- baked broiled tasty birds!!

13. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I used to feed wild birds until the pigeons found out I had a feeder. No more bird feeding. Pigeons are nasty and filthy in my opinion. Think bat guano.

14. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

Feral/wild pigeons are a nuisance for sure, I have no disagreements there. Having domestic pigeons though, its frustrating to see people base their opinions of all pigeons on just the wild ones. My domestic pigeons are no dirtier then any other farm animal, cleaner then any of my other poultry. Domesic pigeons have a long history of being flying champions, war heros, athletes, entertainers, and meat producers. They have served peole in many ways over the years.

15. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNNl_uWmQXE[/ame]

pigeons are GREAT eating,.... ask the pelican !

16. virtualco

virtualco Zone 10a

We too have mourning doves. Nice bird, I like.

You think you have it bad Karin L, here in FL we have a nasty pesty bird called a muscovy duck. They are close to being protected where I live, 'cause people will kill them if not. They crap big white patches on your walk and driveway. They are as far as I can tell, worthless. (At least you can shoot pigeons.) They can get up to 12 pounds. There're fat, stupid and ugly. And they travel in little duck herds of three to seven animals. 12 pounds of fat crapping ugly!

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Musc/BRKScobies.html

Doves I like. :)

17. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

doves and pigeons are wonderfully prolific! delicious too.. doves need caging.. pigeons ... can't get rid of.

I prefer to keep them caged, need protection in the winter's cold.

easy to catch in the dark.

18. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

We have (12) morning doves coming into to eat, love them. And wouldn't even mind a few pigeons if they happened by. But i wouldn't want them roosting in My barn. ;)

19. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

For ages wise country folk have provided Pigeon cotes designed to protect breeding pairs and make it easy to harvest the wonderful Squab just before fledging. Sweet and tender because they are raised on pigeon milk....Glen

20. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

LOL

Oh gosh, where do I start? LOL You might like to visit the poulty threads and see how many people are fond of these ducks. Obviously this is not in areas where they are considered a pest (as Canadian geese are to us in Canada).

I owned a few muscovy for parasite control, and you are so right about them being messy! But they are also quite tasty. Most ended up in my fridge and I gave away the last pair. Chickens are way cleaner.

As for pigeons, when I was a child, I actually rescued one. :p I found it in the dead of winter with its wings clipped. I kept it til the feathers grew back and released it near the local grain elevators, thinking in my child's mind that he would have lots to eat there. I bet the elevator owners woulda loved me for that! :D Anyhow, I was never so glad to let an animal go. They really are a truly messy, dirty bird.

Mourning doves are not the same, IMO. They tend to stay in the trees, flock in smaller numbers, and make a wonderful cooing sound. Pigeons are too "coarse" and pushy.