what about citron

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by silosounds, Nov 21, 2004.

1. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

We were givin a single seed from a older lady in our town, she said that her mom and dad planted these during the dirty 30s as feed for their animals and I thought man what a stingy old lady just giving me one seed. So we planted it and we grew a vine of these things 40 feet diamiter with about 20 citron wieghing about 8lbs each they look like a water melon but taste like a cucumber we tried feeding them to our goats and sheep but they didnt want to eat them. What can we do with them?I guess it true one seed is enough for one family. If anyone wants a seed let me know :D

2. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

SiloSounds, I would LOVE to have some seeds from the citron melons! I have bought them from two different seed companies and they failed to come up. We grew them years ago and they were super easy to grow.

I wanted them to make some really different and delicious jam that I made when we had them before. Other than that I don't know what they could be used for. PM me about the seeds or the recipe if interested. Rita in TN

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I, too, would love a seed. The birds would love them. They couldn't get enough cucumbers this year. If you're seriously sending them out, PM me and I'll give you my address.

Thanks,
    Robert

4. silosounds

well I just found somthing that like to eat it raw our dog the one I cut up for seed has been devoired by her.( wierd it must be a Kansas thing) I also see that The Heirloom Gardener has seeds www.gettle.org or seeds@rareseeds.com or www.rareseeds.com

5. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

Rita, would you be willing to post that jam recipe? It sounds pretty good. Thanks. Rita

6. Rita

Here is a recipe that comes pretty close to the one I had years ago: Peel, core and cut up melon. (I believe I cut it in cubes). Allow l lb sugar to l lb fruit. To 6 lbs of fruit use 4 lemons and 2 t ginger or l/4 lb ginger root.
    If using ginger root tie in cheese cloth and boil in l l/2 qts. water. Remove and add the sugar and juice of lemons to the water. Stir, add citron and cook until citron is clear and soft but not mushy. I have not tried this recipe as I haven't been able to get any of the seeds I purchased to grow.

Another one I got off the internet that I have never before made: Dessert Slices (says they are delicious!)
    4 citrons sliced l/3" thick after peelilng
    Put in with 5 c sugar, 2 c water and juice of l lemon
    Simmer gently l l/2 hours or until soft. Lift out and
    arrange on a platter with cinnamon sprinkled on
    and a blob of cream.

I also understand you can cook and candy the pieces to be used in fruitcake etc. but I don't have a recipe for that.

7. silosounds

Thanks Rita we are going to get on it right away sounds good.

8. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I would love to have a seed. Is there anything I have that you would like? I have a list posted under the November seed exchange, plus some winter savory that I just harvested Saturday.

9. silosounds

I will send you some just pm me your adress I saw your post on the exchange thread I would like queenanns lace if you have enough and I also have hyssop fennu greek,st johns wart, horehound ,chamomile, If any of these intrest you Ill stick them in with the citron. :)

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I got my seeds today. Thank you very much. You sent more seeds than I expected. They are very professionally packaged. I'm so happy. Thank you again.

Robert

11. Rita

Thanks for the citron seeds. I received them yesterday and can't wait to plant them. I hope I have as much luck with mine as you did with yours. Rita

12. kentuckyhippie

Also got my seeds yesterday. Thank you so much. Can't wait to plant them next spring
    Rita

13. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Just went outside and harvested a couple of "bird's nests" of Queen Annes Lace seeds for you. Will pm also, Bonnie

14. kentuckyhippie

silosounds, I forgot to ask you but how do you tell when the citron is ready to harvest? I've never seen one growing before, thanks

15. silosounds

Kyhippie you'll need alot of room for this plant its huge the fruit is the size of a watermelon .the plant doesnt need alot of water and loves sandy soil.The stem starts to dry out on the surface when it gets ripe.The flesh inside is green and so are the seeds ,the younger you pick them the better they taste but i think for the reciepe thats posted they have to be ripe. In kansas zone 5 I start to harvest them around the middle of june and until the first hard frost .Their pretty hardy and I seldom have any insects on them and I dont spray anything.

16. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Thanks for the lovely seeds, I can't wait to plant them!!

17. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

What zone are they hardy to. The only thing I know will grow in my zone (3) are a few early muskmelon and watermelon.

18. silosounds

Jackie c We live in 4-5 zone and they do well here but I think if you had 90 days of growing time you could get a good crop although they probably wouldnt be as large it would be interesting to know how well they would do in your zone.

19. fishingnole

fishingnole New Member

I would really like to get seeds from this melon we have been searching for them - you can email me and you can tell me what i will need to do THanks

20. plowhand

plowhand Well-Known Member

Old folks around here used to plant citrons. They used them for making jams and preserves. It's largely forgotten that citrons and quinces are sources of pectin. People used to use a little when they made jams and jellies from fruit that was hard to get to set. I had a neighbor that said quinces set stuff just as good as Sure-Jell or liquid pectin. She just added a little to her peaches and followed her reciped as usual . She said when she did not add the quince her jelly wouldn't set as well.