What a week......

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ozark_jewels, Sep 20, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok......does started trickling in heat last week and I had four bred over a week and a half. Was starting to get annoyed that none would come in heat at the same time as I hate those long drawn-out kidding seasons where there is a doe due every day.
    Then I went to Branson for a couple days on a mini-vacation with friends. I left Wednesday night. I get a call from my sister on Thursday telling me that HALF of my milk herd is hanging out by the buck pen(My milk herd is over 70 does, so we are talking around 30 does in heat!). It was too late when I got home Friday night, but Saturday morning we start breeding the does who are still in heat. Between Saturday morning and this morning, we have bred 30 does so far. Using 7 of my 9 bucks. I will be tearing out my hair in about five months!! :rolleyes: And I was worried that the does wouldn't come into synchronized heat!! Maybe, just maybe I can be finished kidding out in a three month period this kidding season instead of the 6 month period last season....... :) Only about 75 does and doelings to go..........The insanity has started!! :help: :)

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Ohh..I'm jealous..none of my does will even give a second look to the buck I have now :(

3. ozark_jewels

Have you tried giving them Bose?? :)

4. suzyhomemaker09

Don't usually give bose..as i understnad we're not really in a deficient area

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

why couldnt you put the does in with the buck you want them bred too and then just watch for the sign of breeding? or even put a buck harness on them and wright down when they get mounted?

if the does had been with the buck when you were gone they would all be bred and at the same time lol,

corse now i am just splitting hairs i know and i appologise,

6. ozark_jewels

I never had either, but decided to this year because I have seen signs of a deficiency.......I gave Bose to the herd a week before they all came in *strong* heat.....May have been just coincedence....but I don't think so.
    Everybody around here gives Bose and it does help.

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

8. ozark_jewels

Well, there are several reasons I handbreed. Here are a few. I have 4 different breeds of dairy goats and my Boer goats. The doe herd is well over 100 head. I have 9 bucks lined up for individual does to counter and add the traits they need. So if I pen-bred, we are talking 9 large pens, each needing their own barn, browse, and watering system. Not happening on my budget..... :) This way, all my bucks run together and all my dairy does run together.....my Boer buck does have a separate pen with his harem. So only three or four pens to worry about.
    Second reason is I have to know exactly when they are due because I pull the kids from mother at birth to bottle-feed and hand-raise. If the doe never sees the kids, it is easier on her than letting her keep them for a few hours and then taking them. Whatching for signs of heat and looking at butts will tell me when *most* are bred, true, but in a herd this large, some *will* be missed and I'll be surprised.
    Thirdly, I have certain does I want to kid out at certain times of the year.....my older does first, then my younger does later....So I need to be in control of their breeding schedule.
    And fourthly, I am milking and handling all the dairy does twice a day and there is no way I want to have to handle the stinky boys along with my milk herd. :help:
    There are more reasons, but those four are the most pressing. :)

9. ozark_jewels

It is a selenium/vitamin E mixture. Lack of selenium can cause weak heats, does not taking, poor hair coat, and kidding problems. Selenium works hand in hand with copper.

10. suzyhomemaker09

If'n ya milk yer goats ya don' want no stinky bucks in wit 'em

:)

11. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

There's alot to be said about deficiencies. I believe our farm is short on selenium. I also had a doe with weak kids from a deficiency in Iodine. Our feed store guy said he had iodized salt blocks, they are a rust looking color, and we bought some.

How shocked were we when not only the goats..but the Dexter cattle and horse ALL glombed onto them!? Keep in mind..we had kept the white salt blocks and loose salt out before this.

It's really no different than people...my husband and I eat the same food...I am deficient in some minerals and have to help my bod out with supplements, he does not.

12. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

Where can you purchase Bose? Online or at like L&M or Fleet Farm?

13. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Have to have a vet script for it.