What a scare!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dap, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dap

dap lilsparrow

My poor mommy, Sapphire, a Nigerian Dwarf was absolutely fine when I got home at 3 this afternoon and then at about 4:30, she was looking a little bloaty so I went and got her some baking soda. She lapped up a bunch. But then she moved on, wanted her supper (goat pellets, a little sweet feed and sunflower seeds) the same thing she gets every night and she REALLY gobbled that down. About another 20 minutes to a half hour later, her poor belly was so TIGHT and she was crying; she'd try to lay down, only to jump right back up. There was nothing I could do to comfort her. My hubby took his truck to work today, so I had no way to load her up and take her to the vet 45 min away. I thought I was going to loose her. But I called DH, he brought home his truck and off we went. The vet has kept her overnight, he said she has an impacted ruminant. She did seem to feel better after he put the tube down and relieved some pressure, and he gave her something to neutralize things in there and get things moving again. He said she probably ate to many acorns (the leaves and acorns are falling from the trees like crazy here right now). But other than that, I haven't changed her routine at all. Her poor babies are out there in the pen all by themselves for the night. They were sure happy to see us when we came home and absolutely pitiful when we left them down there!!!

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Acorns if anything would give her the runs so I am confused by the vet saying it was caused by the acorns. I am glad you were able to get her to the vet though. I hope she continues to improve.

3. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

dap,
    I'm glad to hear your gal is doing better. I know you was really scared. Acorns can kill a goat but here are the signs of it first. Goats affected by acorn poisoning have a poor appetite, appear dull, become constipated, suffer weight loss and look “gaunted up” or “tucked up”. They also may pass blood in the manure and/or bleed from the nostrils. Profuse diarrhea may follow after the experience constipation. Affected animals drink large amounts of water and void excessive amounts of clear urine (urine may also contain blood). Many animals go down after 3-7 days of acorn poisoning clinical signs. If these affected animals do not die it may take as long as 2-4 weeks before they start to recover. If you suspect acorn poisoning contact your veterinarian as early as possible

Hope your gal gets to come home soon. :)
    TC

4. dap

dap lilsparrow

Thanks guys. She is doing much better today. So now I know why she seemed to be drinking so much!!! I have A LOT of raking to do so that we don't run into this particular problem again!

5. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

wow! impacted rumen. pretty serious. I'm so glad your Sapphire is ok.

good luck with that raking....:)

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am glad to hear that your doe is doing fine. Way to go and not mess around getting her to the vet.

7. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Dap

You are a really great goat "mommy".

Lynn
    Mesa County, CO