What a disapointing year.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nandmsmom, Sep 8, 2006.

1. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

You may remember I had complained earlier that the bugs destroyed all the squash and cukes in my garden. My tomatoes had been looking great. I have tons of fruit on them still, but its not ripening. It is all about the weather. I know a lot of you have been complaining about the heat and lack of water. Up here in MA its the exact opposite. We've had way too much water and fall started in mid august. The 40 degree nights effectively shut off my tomato plants. I only put up a handful of quarts of tomatoes. It's so discouraging. The plants still look so great, but nothing is ripening.

I guess I'll just hope that next year is better, since this year was a resounding failure.

Heather

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Heather, if misery loves company you can hang out with me. My tomatoes got put out late because we had late frosts. Then they didn't set fruit because it was over 90F. Then they put out tons of fruit and got late blight. Right now they're still out there in the garden; I'm waiting to see if any ripen before everything is black slime. And our nights are getting cool, too (mid 50s).
    *sigh*

NEXT year, for sure! :D

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

The words most often spoken by a true gardener!

4. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you pick the tomatoes, bring them inside and let them ripen? I do it every year- wash them off in a 10% bleach solution, let dry, spreading the tomatoes out on newspaper in a cardboard box. they ripen slowly-check periodically and throw out any rotting ones. Not as good as vine ripe but always better than store bought.

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

With the unrelenting heat this year,our garden literally cooked. DH planted corn x3 and nothing came up, just a miserable year. No fruit around, and we noticed that the trees are full of dead and falling leaves, plus the pecans are falling off, and there are very few this year. Next year will be better. I just plan for the next garden, that's all we can do.

6. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

I hear you. My garden did not do as well this year as others. Usually I like to can 104 pints of green beans. This year I got 46. I like 52 quarts of tomato juice. I am going to be short of that as well. Plenty beets though so I canned all those to make up for fewer beans. I froze some kohlrabi which I've never done before just to have some more veg. variety. My canning is about finished for the year, just applesauce to do yet but I buy those so I should get all I want. I think my acorn squash and pumpkin will be abundant as the plants for those did better than they have ever done. I put up what I can and let it go at that. Next year will be another year to try again. I'm just thankful for what I could put away.

7. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

This year is why I am glad I preserve all I can get my hands on each year. If not for the 20 quarts of green beans left from last year there would be little to none for this winter.
    i did get over 60 quarts of greens canned. So they will be enjoyed this winter.
    My carrots did well this year and I still bought and canned 50 extra pounds.
    We are going out to pick apples off some abbandoned trees tomarrow, But I noticed our plum trees lost alot of their fruit this year.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

And Cubs fans... ;)

Pony!

9. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

Hopefully next year we'll all be complaining that we're too busy canning the bumper crops we got!

Heather

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    For the tomatoes in the NE, would row covers increase the effective night-time temperatures? Even though you're not cold enough for frost, warming the overnight lows might be enough to keep your tomatos on a ripening path, right?

This is a hypothesis. I have no experience to back it up.

11. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Yes. The tomatoes I'm growing outside are nothing in comparison to the ones growing in one of the hoop houses. The ends weren't closed in until recently so the difference was marginal - but there is a difference.

12. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;Summer here in Venice,on the West Coast was cool and overcast until July.Most of my tomatoes started ripening 5-6 weeks later than usual.It is now hot and will be like this until Nov.Plenty of time.Your best bet in your area is pull the entire plants,carefully so as not to lose green fruit and hang indoors in a covered porch or spare room that is warm and light.they will taste better if they ripen on the plant.-

13. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

add me to the list of "Next Year We'll Get Em!!" folks lol
    I did have great tomatoes. great peppers.
    but the corn was a flop
    beans did terrible (I ALWAYS have great beans!!!)
    and my melons grew but didnt mature!
    grrrr next year .... next year....

14. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

TXCLOVERANGEL, you still have time for some green beans.

15. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley NRA

Our garden just burned up. We had extreme heat for too long with no rain, we watered but it did't help. We have no hay....the farmers didn't harvest the corn here, just baled it like hay to feed the cattle. Grasshoppers were terrible this year.
    I hope next year is better, we depend on the garden.

16. dirtywhitellama

dirtywhitellama I don't have llamas.

Tomatoes here are huge and beautiful and......very, very green. They were a hair late because when we started seeds, the first group of seedlings died (combination of frost and not enough water if I remember right) and then without replanting more sprouted soon after, which is what's in our garden now.

Anyway, we have had just 1 ripe tomato so far - some kind of volunteer who's seed was in the straw we mulched our new corn patch with, looks perhaps like a cherry tomato or something.

It has been plenty hot here and the garden(s) get plenty of water. I don't know why it is but they are just not ripening. Last week or the week before we had a few cold nights, but I would've expected some color in August at least...even before those cold nights our friends in Michigan were busy canning huge numbers of tomatoes.

ahhhh I miss fresh home garden tomatoes! You just can't get them that good from a store or even a market :(

17. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Yup.. planting another crop of them today.... crossing fingers