What a day!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Wendy, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I took Samantha to the doctor this afternoon. She was in the health center at school last Thursday & Friday running a high fever. She came home Friday night & has had a fever all weekend. Started coughing yesterday so I thought I better take her in. We ended up going for x-rays. I took the films back up to the doctor & they confirmed what he thought, PNEUMONIA!!!! He said she has a very severe case. A small part of her right lung is collapsed & he almost put her in the hospital! :eek: :eek: He said a case like hers is usually inpatient, but he would try to treat her at home. He gave her a prescription for that & one for coughing. Told me if she still has a fever or is not doing any better by Wednesday I am supposed to call him.

I feel so bad. I had no idea she was that sick. She has spent the weekend sleeping for the most part. Her fever has been as high as 104* at times. I am so glad I took her in. She is not happy about missing so much school, but that is just too bad. I just really feel bad that she is so sick & I didn't realize just how bad. :(

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry she is sick! I'll remember her in my prayers. Hopefully she will be feeling a little better by thanksgiving.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Children, unlike other animals, are able to tell us when they are sick. Perhaps she was not vocal enough in her description of how she felt. Do not feel guilty as I am sure you are not the first or last parent to experience this! sis

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

She really said she did not hurt anywhere. Her chest didn't hurt, her stomach didn't hurt, her head didn't hurt. I had pneumonia quite a few years ago & I had the same symptoms. Ran a fever for days & slept a lot. Wasn't even coughing. Finally went to the doctor & I had pneumonia. She was even checked by the nurse practioner at school on Friday who found nothing wrong with her. I sure hope she does not end up in the hospital. :(

5. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, don't feel bad. Pnuemonia can be sneaky like that!

Try to get her to drink hot fluids, as hot as she'll take. Supposedly, will help kill the viruses at the back of her throat, but certainly will help her feel better.
    Vitamin C tablets can be magical energy-restoring things, too. Sure you already know this, but just in case.
    Hnag in there!

6. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I know what it's like to feel like you lost the "parent of the year award"!

My son had a sore throat for a week. I kept him home a few days, took him to the dr on the Friday as it seemed to be hanging around, they swabbed his throat but said he looked ok so I sent him to school Monday.

Monday afternoon they call me at work to say "umm he has strep throat, we called in a prescription for him". I'm like ... "uhhhh so I should go get him out of school then, eh?"

"YEAH! He's contagious!"

Oops.

So I got him from school, gave him his drugs, and he felt much better. :)

It happens. Sometimes it's nasty and doesn't look so bad ... sometimes it looks terrible and is nothing serious. At least they caught it and you're on the road to recovery now!

7. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

The poor kid! Don't beat yourself up too badly, we have all done it. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Nikki

8. Melissa

Melissa member

Hope she heals quickly! And yes, we have all done things like that. I am one of the 'wait and see before I go to the doctor' Mom's too!