What a blessing!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We got so blessed tonight. We have friends who homestead a little deeper into farm country than we are---live about 10 miles from us. We both homeschool, and all our kids (and us 2 moms) take Tae Kwon Do together. Her girls and mine also take horseback riding lessons together...
    I called to ask Sue a question about one of my new babies who was obviously not feeling well...just standing there a little hunched and very listless. She is the sweetest little black and white Alpine, just talks to you with her eyes...very snuggly and cuddly and calm...well, she got TOO calm!
    Then tonight I noticed she had green boogers in her eyes and nose, but nothing copious. When Sue called me back I explained what was happening, and how because of the snow I couldn't get penicillin today---there was a horrendous accident that I passed right after it happened around the bend from us. Really bad spin out with disasterous results. I also described to her how chaotic, cute, funny and annoying it can be for 3 or 4 people to try to feed 11 baby goats that all want their bottles at the same time...
    Well, to make a long story glorious, about an hour later, we hear a vehicle coming up our driveway---it was Ron, her dh.
    He brought us some penicillin and a syringe, and---
    A 10 nipple milk-feeding bucket!!!!!
    I had seen them but they were too costly for us at this time! I was making do with 12 soda bottles with the screw on lamb nipples. A real pain to clean and fill and feed with, but hey, you do what you have to.
    He had bought it last year thinking to use it with pigs, but it wasn't feasible for some reason and it has never been used!
    He GAVE it to us!!! Those things are expensive!
    My older son is especially happy because we are all going away for 3 days and 2 nights soon for my dd's national dance competition. He was certainly willing to care for the animals but knew it would be challanging to do all those babies by himself for what, 6 feedings?
    Life has been made much easier! And I feel very strongly that it is just one more beautiful confirmation that we are on the path we are called to take!
    Blessings, Jillis!
    I just feel so overwhelmed and blessed at this moment.

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great neighbor. :D

3. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

Isn't that wonderful! I have been the recipient of desperately need gifts/help from generous gracious neighbors so many times. I hope some day I can give to someone this way.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Be sure to give the little one some probiotics or yogurt!

A good friend indeed!

5. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are blessed with excellent neighbors. Sure makes homesteading easier when you have neighbors like that.
    Hope the baby is doing better now.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Seems like you have WONDERFUL neighbors! Glad to hear that things will be easier for you now, by the way, how is your little one with the broken leg? Is she doing any better? See ya.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder on the yogurt!
    I took 5 babies to the man I bought them from for disbudding and CDTs. He is an expert and it was done so fast I couldn't believe it.
    His wife said our babies looked great and that we were doing a great job with them---also that they were quieter than most through the disbudding.
    We got to see them milking into the bulk tank, which was pretty cool.
    The baby with the broken leg is doing better. She hollers now when she has to pee. She doesn't like to pee in her little cage...isn't that smart and cute?
    She is drinking the same amount of milk a day as the other babies, just smaller amounts in more frequent feedings.
    The first time we fed with the 10-nipple bucket only a few caught on right away. The smallest ones didn't get it--the nipples are bigger and the milk isn't just easily flowing into their mouths. Going by the rounded tummies, we supplemented a couple of them with extra bottles. Tonight it went much better---the bigger ones all latched on and the smaller ones needed some help and encouragement but were soon sucking it down too. We did supplement a couple that weren't "round" enough. The others were actually a little too round. Then they stood around looking like, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!" I hope they didn't get tummy aches...that bucket is wonderful, and it sure made feeding time a tad calmer and quicker!