Whadda ya'll think?!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Oct 27, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Is Boo a "double XL" like the guy in the country song?

He was born on the 23rd of July, making him just about 3 months old. He was one of the biggest newborn calves I've seen, and he's been raised on momma's milk, and with her tender loving care (except when he gets in the way when she's sprinting toward the grain bucket!!!).

Vet who was out here yesterday to see my new cow thought Little Man was a big calf,,,,,ha! I said "You ain't seen nothing yet!" and invited him to look at Boo. (Mind you, LM is still a week older than Boo, but Boo's still bigger.)

That's a standard 5- gallon bucket in the photo for size comparison.

[​IMG]

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Oh My Gosh! He is HOMONGOUS! My neighbor had a calf, that I thought was BIG, But man, your guy is BIG BIG BIG! Looks cute too.

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Thats all I gotta say!

MotherClucker

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Who is his sire? Also was he standing on level ground, or is his rump high like that? If so, he aint done yet (growing) ;). I ask who his sire is, and he seems to have nice F&L, if you didn't steer him. He might be a good service sire for some farm!

Jeff

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

:sing: " ... don't call him on the phone, just ring his dinner bell! ... " :sing:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Jeff, I'm embarrassed to admit I can't remember who his sire was (hey, it's been a year!). I'd have to look it up on my computer, which is FUBAR at the moment. (I'm using my laptop.)

I haven't steered either of the calves yet. Have been hoping to find a buyer for Little Man as a herd bull ... I didn't think Boo would be a good candidate since his dam, Teeny, isn't registered ... also her udder's not that impressive ... kinda small and shallow!

You are probably right about the foot thing, though ... Teeny's dam is on her 4th lactation (due in December) and she has great feet ... never any soreness or problems!

Boo's a real sweetheart ... he's a friendly guy just like his momma. I've been toying with the idea of keeping a pet ox ... but will I be able to afford to feed him?! YIKES! :help:

BTW Jeff, yeah he kinda stands with his butt up in the air! I do hope he's got a bit more growing to do, as he's only 3 months old. ;)

My mare's colt, born July 2004, grew to be a whopping thing too, over 14 hands as a yearling (well, he's 1/4 Belgian). Maybe it's something in the water?!