Whaat can anybody tell me about their luck with rabbit tractor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Jan 6, 2007.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Ive always wanted to build one. Anything to think about different than with a chicken tractor. They better with raising the young or can they be used by all ages.Ect. Anything else you know thru using one id/weed like to hear

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

3. Belly Acre

Belly Acre Well-Known Member

I have used rabbit tractors for a while. I have had pretty good luck except they really NEED wire on the bottom, where with chickens the wire is OK but not manditory. The down side to rabbits on the ground (according to an Englishman I spoke to) is cocidiosis (sp). We have not seen any sign of it in the rabbits we have butchered.

4. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Ditto on the wire on the bottom. I spent too many afternoons chasing my kids pet rabbits around the yard with a landing net after they somehow either flew or dug out. After about the twentieth time and in face of an approaching winter, the kids rabbits got relocated to a new, warm home (the oven).

Pete

5. GardenGirl72

GardenGirl72 Well-Known Member

6. chas

chas Well-Known Member

You would have gotten a better response by posting on the bunny forum :)
    My rabbit tractor has welded wire on one end of the bottom to support nest boxes with a foot of wire around the rest of the edge. They don't bother digging enough to get out of that!
    It's easier handling them tho to wait untill they are 6 weeks old to put them in a tractor.
    Chas