We've got the keys...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Feb 6, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We've got the keys to our new home...the used singlewide we've bought. We finally were able to get everything together and signed the papers on it this morning. If everything goes well, it will be moved onto our property next week and we can begin moving out of this trailer park. After church tomorrow, we'll put up a new mailbox and begin transforming the shed into something usable for our birds.

Still need to figure out the fencing so we can get goats. The deadline to have everything ready is April 18, my wife's birthday. A goat is all that she wants. (Yes, we know we should get two.) She wants 6 feet high chainlink cyclone fence but we can't afford that. I would really like to just nail insulators onto the trees and run electric wire. We'll see.

I'm so happy. I'm going to sleep good tonight.

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

:dance: Congratulations.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

im very happy for the both of you . you must be exited

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

:haha: :dance: :haha: :dance: :yeeha:

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We were there, on the property, for most of the day. We wanted to stay until dark, but we're all sick with some nasty stomach virus. All of us but the 7month old. The 4 year old had projectile vomit at Wal-Mart last night. She had the baby with her in her own shopping cart and I had the older boy in my cart. We had just rounded the corner from where the butter and sour cream is. We had passed the eggs and canned biscuits. Chicken Noodle soup exploded from him and ran all down the glass door of the milk case. I just stood there in bewilderment and yelled for help. A grown man standing in WalMart with a four year old yelling for help. :no:

Anyhow, I digress. We got the cat cage put together (for the serval.) and cleaned out the shed that had the last people's chickens. It was great compost, about a foot deep. It's in a big mound right now. We had to pick trash out of it and filled two bags. I sprayed the walls and the 10 hole metal nest box with a bleach solution and limed the ground heavily on the inside and not so heavily around the shed. I'm off again Tuesday and I plan on wrapping the unsheltered walls in several layers of plastic and spreading new pine shavings on the floor. Our current bird house is 12 X 24, the largest storage building that we could find and have delivered. This new shed is 20 X 25 and I can't wait to fill it. :haha: It won't take long. We'll also start some kind of lean-to off of one of the sides with a wall (2 sides are walled and two are not) for the rabbit cages. They're turning out to be a real profit maker for us. I plan on investing in an automatic watering system once we're all moved in.

They're planning on moving the trailer out this week. They're going out tomorrow to check the "pad." Says the dirt under the house has to be mounded so that a 5 gallon bucket of water poured on the roof on either side, at either end, will run off the house, hit the ground and not run underneath the house. If the "pad" is ok, they'll bring it out Tuesday. If not, we'll have a guy come Tuesday and scrape it the way they want it. Two seperate people, the delivery guy and the excavator, paid by the mobile home retailer so I hope I don't get the bad end of that deal. :confused: Once the house is there, we have to wait 10 days to see if the footers settle, then if they don't, they'll skirt it and hook up the utilities and we can move in.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We were told noone has lived here in four years. While knocking down some dried goldenrod stems, my lovely, very sick wife found some onions. There were two nice, tidy little rows, about 4 feet long with at least 20 pretty little onion plants growing. They are about 12 inches tall. She pulled one and it had a bright white bottom and a bulb about as big around as a quarter. I find this very interesting...

especially as I do not like onions! :waa:

7. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

Just catching up on my reading here, but sounds like all is going well for your for the most part:) STILL can't imagine you moving your (many) birds, not to mention all the rest of your menagerie!!! I had one client with 14 birds to care for, from finches to parrots (a fav. job), and can ONLY image you trying to move, organize and once again set up all your critters, if nothing else, along with trying to move and setting up house for you and yours...that alone is a feat!! You'll know what I'm saying in southern speak when I say 'bless your heart!";)

Happy for you and wishing you the best! I know must be thrilled!

Dee

8. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

"Still need to figure out the fencing so we can get goats. The deadline to have everything ready is April 18, my wife's birthday. A goat is all that she wants. (Yes, we know we should get two.)"

You're a good man, Charlie Brown!..happy, happy birthday to your wife when her day arrives (DH's B'day is same day) and you give her her goat(s):) That's my future B'day wish, too..one day, when I can finally have one (a few?)!

Dee

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping us posted....I am excited for you! Your ambition will hopefully jump start mine so I can get back in gear and finish cleaning the hurricane debris. will you DW get another goat for your anniversary? At this rate, after a few more celebrations you will have a full farm!

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

3 years ago, right before her birthday, a lady in Hamilton (NW AL) advertised some Great Pyrenese for sale in the Birmingham News. I called her and the puppies were not yet born. I asked her to call me when they were born. Sam was born on my wife's birthday. He was her present 3 years ago. Our older son was about 16 months old and she missed having a baby to care for. She got the puppy and carried him around in her arms for at least a month. Sometimes, when she's petting him, Sam looks up at her with an emotion in his eyes that would make you think he still wanted to be carried around like that. Too bad he's literally as big as she is. I always get birds for presents. Or incubators.

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................DB , did you purchase another "all electric" trailer for new residence on your land?? , fordy..

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

No.

Gas stove and furnace. Wood burning fireplace.

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............You're getting smarter by the (Watt) Hour ....I'd say ! fordy.. :)

14. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new place. It is always nice to have your own place.