We've Done It!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, May 16, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :) (and Oz)

Well, we've finally done it. As of Friday afternoon we became the proud new owners of 17 acres in NC. While getting to that point was quite a trial, once we had signed on the dotted line it all became worth it. We couldn't wait to get out of that attorney's office and head to "our place". We could find no where to buy champagne, so we opted for the "Champagne of Beers", (Miller High Life) to toast our new venture (and adventure). It was a truly incredible feeling to realize that we finally get to start living our dream now. Many tears of joy were shed (by me anyway) and then the long list of things you want to do immediately start forming. It was hard to leave this morning and come back to SC, but now at least when we take off to NC for the weekend we have a destination instead of the seemingly endless search. We couldn't wait to get back to share the news with all of you. Thanks for listening to us through all of the "maybe this is its". Now just get ready because we'll have tons of questions on what to do next. :eek:

2. southernbelle32

southernbelle32 Well-Known Member

:dance: :D :dance: So happy for ya'll!!
    Sandy

3. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!!!
    Now you guys will have to change your name, I hope its something we can recognize.
    Kirk

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Congratulations,now you can put some of the Seymor book to use!
    BooBoo

5. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Welcome to NC from a fellow North Cackalackun!! Glad it has been finalized for you!!

Michele

6. margo

margo Well-Known Member

;) Hooray for you! Now the real adventure begins. I wish you all the enjoyment of a dream come true. ..................Margo

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I'll second that. Now your adventure really begins.

Something a friend told me some years ago before we bought our own property, "you'll never be so interested in local politics as when you buy land in that area."

He was right.

.....Alan.

8. BlueRidgeBabe

BlueRidgeBabe Active Member

YAY!! Congrats on closing the deal! And welcome to WNC!

We'll be following close behind you in the learning curve, and hopefully not far behind in the move from 'burbs to acreage! :D

9. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

truly the first day of the rest of your life. Tell us about your land...and what your gonna do with it.

Eric

10. oz in SC

The land is rolling,sloping down to a flat area between the streams(there are two on the property and one creek on the property boundary).
    It is just over 17 acres and has a long driveway leading back to the property.

It had been wooded but has been cut over(stumps are rotting so at least we won't have too much trouble with them) but there are trees along the streams and down one side of the property.

It IS in a 'subdivision' but it is of large pieces of properties and there are no real restrictions except on types of housing(no mobiles) and junkyards.

It actually has mountain views in two directions(even though we weren't looking for it)

We want to have it cleared to enable us to plant grass on most of the land. (leaving the trees along the streams and some of the larger ones in the fields)

We would like to obviously build a house and outbuildings,start an orchard and establish a garden area.

I would like to raise Longhorn cattle on a small scale(more for fun than money :) ) and try tofind some sort of way to make a little money on the land.

We plan to try and open a small restaurant/cafe/diner in the area to make money but really just want to start enjoying life more.

11. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I can feel your excitement. :)

12. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Sounds very nice!

13. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Weecha! (that's Okie NDN for yahoo!)
    Great news and you're going to have blast on your new adventure. BTW, we have friend who raises longhorns and angus. He sells the mixed breed and eats the straight longhorn meat himself - VERY lean meat.
    So when you open your own eatery, think about raising your own meat and advertising it on your menu (it's a good sell). I trust homegrown over store bought anyday!

Congratulations and keep us posted!

14. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

congratulations Oz.

Mike

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Sweet! Sounds lovely. Should you want to post pics, I'd love to see them.

16. oz in SC

I don't know how to post pics-we have a few but you can't really see much.

I talked to a guy about clearing the land-we are going up this coming weekend to meet him and work out what needs to be done.

How does $50/hour sound for bush hogging?

17. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Oz, you must be elated. Tell us more, is it unimproved land or land with buildings? How long till you're living there? You might as well start celebrating with beer cause it seems once you own land, you're always spending money on improvements but well worth it.

18. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Congrats Oz. I know that you have been looking for a while. Good Luck & best wishes on the new place.

19. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Well YIPPEE and YAHOO! You folks finally did it! We've all been pulling for you, and are sure glad you finally got your new dirt! :)

So, mrs. oz and oz in sc.....are you now "oz in nc"??? :haha:

Keep us posted on your progress. A BIG CONGRATS to you folks! :)

20. oz in SC

Thank you all :)

We will be oz(and Mrs oz) in SC for a while yet.

It has been a LONNGGGGG time coming but it is finally over!!!!

Mrs oz is VERY happy not to have to be driving all over the country looking at property after property.

Wr,it is unimproved land with just a driveway to it.We have already made up a list of 'what needs to be done'.