wethers and bucks

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dap, Nov 21, 2006.

1. dap

dap lilsparrow

Would it be a OK to put a young (currently a 5 week old) wether in with a 2year old buck? And if so, at what age would be advisible to give it a try?

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I'd let that little guy do a whole lot of growing up first! I keep a wether with each of my dairy bucks, but the wether is pretty much the same age as the buck.

Ruth

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

The first thing that happened when I introduced some young wethers to my doe and older wether was the little guys got slammed. Then they got slammed again and again and again. I swatted the doe with the plastic feed scoop many times before she would leave them alone for very long. I had to place myself between the doe and older wether and the younger wethers. Even months later the littler ones took hits.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Dap, that's not a good idea. A sexually frustrated caged buck can become extremely violent because of the rut or plain boredom. Another choice would be to let the buck out of his pen and let him run with the rest of the gang. This situation works out best for all animals. I had two bucks penned up and let me tell ya at times they were buddies, but when the girls were in heat they became enemies. Granted, your little guy is a wether, still way to young. I wouldn't have them in the same pen until he's six months old and that would just be a test. Bottom line let the old boy run...Tennessee John

5. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I think it depends on the temperment of the buck. watch how they do together (you will know pretty much right away) and decided from there.

I have a 1 1/2 yera old buck at my place for breeding and he is very gentle. I would put him in with my 3 month old wether in a heart beat if he wasn't with my girls breeding.

6. dap

dap lilsparrow

Thanks for the responses, I kinda thought that would be the case, and did plan to wait til he's older and keep an eye on them. I have NDs and they apparently cycle frequently (every 3 weeks or so from what I've read) so I don't really want them running together, but the old buck is lonely by himself, so I was hoping the two could hang together. He is a gentle guy, so I may give it a try later anyway, when I can hang with them anyway... :shrug:

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

all goat breeds cycle every 18-21 days.