Wethering Buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, May 11, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I finally found someone to help me get my buck wethered. My goats are mostly pets and we have all the babies we really want. I sorta feel bad because he is really beautiful, he's a Kiko/Pygmy mix. (Looks like a Kiko but is really small.)

Anyway, the vet said that he normally does it with anesthetic, but I told him that I felt uncomfortable doing that, mostly due to the boards advice about putting goats under. He's small enough that we can hold him in place too.

My questions are...any advice? Should I put him under? Can we sedate him a little? It is a long drive for him in my car. When he was really sick 6 months ago, he rode pretty well in my car. Anything you can share before tomorrow AM would be very helpful. I am worried about him because he tends to get sick if he gets really stressed, but I can't stand him getting all of my girls pregnant, and I don't have the facilities to separate him.

I was thinking of worming him today and giving him some probios and b-vit tomorrow when he gets back, as well as a lot of love.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i just wethered my 5 year old buck. vet came to the farm ( for several reasons, not just this) and he gave me a choice between the traditional cutting of the sack and taking out the testicles, or he had this kind of crimper thing, that i ended up choosing. he had a student with him, and had her hold the goat up against the barn wall, then he used this tool to crush the vessels and such inside the sack. no blood, no mess, no fuss, no open wound to draw flies, except the buck though he was dying while it went on. it worked good, and within a week or so had very little interst in the does any more. i'd recommend it. someone else may know the right name for it.

3. Croenan

Ouch, that sounds painful to me and I am a girl! :haha: It does sound like a good idea though, maybe he can do something like that and give him something good for the initial pain. I like the idea of quick and clean. And if for some reason it doesn't work 100%, its not a big deal. I can have another baby, I just don't want more.

4. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

When I had two alpine bucks wethered to make pack goats, I had them put under -- but I was worried about lasting bad memories in an animal I had to work with. I'd just gotten them and they were not real comfortable being handled by me anyway.

Also, these guys had balls the size of softballs ... no WAY they could be done safely any other way than surgically. Were I dealing with babies, or livestock (food) animals where I wasn't worried about training issues later, I'd have simply had them thrown and cut by one of the local cowboys or banded if the sacks were small enough. But with a pack goat, they HAVE to trust you and they need to tolerate restraint and I've seen a goat ruined permanently because he needed painful doctoring and took it badly ... so.

The vet used xylazine and ace and cut the sacks; he indicated he didn't want to use a burdizzo (crush the sack) because he'd seen goats end up with tetanus that way. Worked, and no bad memories for the goats, who simply woke up sore. Took 'em about a month to lose the buck-y attitude, but they were outrageous to start with when I got them.

Leva

5. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

We had a 12 week old boer billy wethered by the vet. He numbed his lower region with an epidural type shot and then cut him and removed the testicles. He came out of the epidural within 1/2 hour after cutting and was just a little sore for a while (no jumping up for snacks :haha: ) He's fine now. It was less painful to the baby and on me. I think the vet only charged $10.

6. Croenan

How did the vet get the goat to stand still for an epidural type thing or was it just a shot and not spinal?

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

thanks for the name- burdizzo- that's an odd name.:)
    vet did give a tetanus shot, as i also do when i band babies. miine are brush/ pet goats. but i still like them happy and healthy.

which is one of the best things about HT. all of my critters are a lot happier and healthy since i've been hanging around here.

8. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

My husband and one of the vet techs just held him while the vet put the shot in his spine. I wasn't there for this one, but we previously had taken another baby to him who had a herniated umbilical cord and he did the epidural on that buck also (I was present for that :waa: ), the vet waited until his legs were floppy and then cleaned and stitched him up.

9. Croenan

Well, after a LONG hard day, we did it. Talk about nightmare! I went to the wrong vet clinic and ended up having to drive this poor goat in the back of my SUV for 60 miles! (and it's hot here!) The vet's 1/2 hour proceedure took 2 1/2 hours and the poor boy's sak is half gone and still leaking blood! Not to mention about 50 other things that went wrong wiht me in the process. I did feel comfortable with the vet, he passed my tests...lol but talk about trauma to that poor goat. He keeps coming over to me and putting his head in my lap as if to say "mommy, that hurt!" :no:

The only good part of the day was that I found a really nice family for a nubian that used to be mine but now needs a new home.

Anyway, I just had to get the day off my chest! Thanks for listening.

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I take a very sharp knife, cut off the lower third of the sack, reach in and pull out the testacles one by one. I have to pull hard to get the cord to come on out. I throw the testicles on the ground and the crows come and get them quickly. There is almost zero blood. It costs me nothing. The goats are young (a fews weeks) when i do it and have very short memories. They remain obnoxiously tame and seem to have no recollection of the event. I use rubbing alcohol externally on the scrotum and 7% iodine to dry up the sack for a day or two after. I make sure their bedding is relatively clean and check for any infection or pus. Never have has a problem, infection or lost a goat. I was taught this method on calves and pigs by my grandfather and dad and at Texas A&M and see no reason to change. If i go a little larger scale i will ivest in a Burdizzo. I disapprove of banding because of it's association with gangrene. I have an RN degree and worked Labor and Delervy and the ER. Castrating a goat is very minor to other procedures i have done. I would never castrate a mature animal as that is major surgery so to speak. But the little ones are quite easy.....Diane

11. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Thats the way that I do it. But I do wait for the sign to be right before I will cut one. Never lost one no matter how big they were as long as the sign was right. Burdizzos and banding only cause problems. If I got their testicles in my hand then I know that the job is done.

12. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

TexCountry Woman,

this sounds almost exactly like the way we castrate our bucks. I make a small slice at the base of the scrotum and squeeze each testicle out. When the buck is upright again the 2 cut sides come together and heal. Much much better than banding or crushing. Healing begins IMMEDIATELY. And since I pull those testicles out, I know the job is done.

We were taught this method by a large animal caretaker from our local zoo.

13. Didgery

Didgery Bent Barrow Farm

Anyone in Whatcom or Skagit County, WASHINGTON? I would like to castrate with the scalpel method (it just seems best to me, after all the reading I've done) or possibly Burdizzo method, but the only offer of help I've received comes from someone who bands. I'd prefer not to do our boy that way. He's a 2.5 week old Saanen - BIG and starting to get lusty with the doelings!! I'd like to see this done or hire someone to help before I try it on my own, and this is our first buck kid so I'm very new.

Thanks!

14. nanu

nanu Member

where do you give a tetanus shot to goats ,subcutanious...they are painful. where is the best place to give them that won't be to sore for them...I am new at this...can you tell.

15. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Banamine is a wonderful drug for pain and inflammation.

You can also use a local anesthetic without putting them under. Lidocaine is what is recommended in Goat Medicine (Smith, Sherman).

I did knife castrations last year on two boys. I will be doing several this year. I have a yearling that needs to be done and I was going to consult with my vets before I do it, just to be sure there isn't anything different about it. Last year they didn't think so, but it's always good to ask again right before you do it. If they scare me, I'll hire them to do it for me. lol

16. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

UGH! Sorry you had such an awful day...:( Glad it's over and it can only get better now!