Wethering an adult buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Our buck came to us intact, and now that we have a baby, (maybe more on the way) can we get him "fixed"? He's really a little twerp, chasing my does around all day long, and I know that wethering him now, won't change his attitude, but maybe he'll calm down a little, not to mention the fact that we don't need tons of new goats around. (they are all pets) Any ideas or experiences?

2. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Yep, you can still have him fixed! He will have to be surgically castrated, he is too big for a bander and probably too old for Burdizzo. This is something any livestock vet can do for you. Insist on a local anesthesia too- much less tramatic for all parties.

3. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

so, no general? How on earth do they keep him still? Is it a small cut, like on a human? (lol)

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

That's nothing to laugh about. :no:

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Goats don't respond well to general anasthesia, the local is really the safest way to go. And yes, it's a really small cut.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

local anesthesia, cut is about an inch and a half long, removes the testicles, it can be done if youve for example castrated bulls or horses, otherwise, get the vet to do it ive done adult llamas, without too much trouble , but if its an animal youre attatched to , and you havent done it before, pay for the vet,

your buck will change his attitude in about a month or so , remember that for about a month after surgery he can still possibly impregnante your does... yes really .

:D
    Beth

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Yep, general is to be avoided in ruminants. A local and a little restraint works just fine. My vet also adds some classical music if there's a radio around. :)

It's a bigger cut than a vasectomy, as the testicles are completely removed from an animal.

You mentioned you have babies coming? Buy a bander and band the boys when they are a few days old. The tool is cheap and you can do this yourself. Much cheaper than the vet doing them all later.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Bethlaf, how do you do local anaesthesia without a vet? Inquiring minds, you know. I'd like to ease the suffering for my boys if possible, but not to the tune of a hundred or so dollars per, which is what a vet around here would charge.