Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you wether older 1 yr old bucks to prevent rut for someone who wants to buy wethers for weed management?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Yes, but it's a job for the vet at this age, IMO. I'm taking a yearling buck to the vet next week to be wethered (I'm keeping him for a packer and to pull a cart). Once they've been wethered, they won't come in rut anymore, even if they are a lot older than yearlings.

Kathleen

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
You can, but unless you're experienced, it's not recommended for any one but a vet. Yes it will stop rut and most bucky behaviors... but I've seen some previous bucks retain the peeing on themselves behavior. Not that common and not nearly as compulsive as it would be if they were still bucks, but still rather a disgusting habit.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Aw heck, anyone with a stomach and the ability to count to 2 can cut a goat. You will have to get it tied up to a gate or in a head catch. Sterilize the SHARP knife or single-edge razor blade in fire from a propane torch or lighter, let it cool, push up the testicles some, and whack off the bottom third of the scrotum. Work the testicles out, count to 2, and pull. Leave the bottom of the scrotum open to drain.

The goat will not like this one bit. But anyone with the stomach for it can do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A man experienced with cutting steer came and helped me do this tonight. Wow, this was the worst thing I have ever done to a living creature. I held the goat and didn't watch. One bled worse than the others but stopped after a little while. We used LOTS of blood-stop powder on him. The 3 are resting in a separate pen tonight. I'll baby them and hope they'll be up on their feet soon. I'm supposed to take them to the buyer in a week so they should be ready by then.
Thanks for your support!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't envy you one bit having to do that to your goats. My hubby bands the little bucklings and I can't even stand to hear them cry when he does it. I don't disbud because of inflicting pain on the goats. Can't imagine cutting them at that age. Ouch! I guess I'm just a wimp when it comes to things like that. I can give shots and I can help in the trimming of hooves and kidding issues but that's about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts