Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 3 year old wether here in snowy Maine that I found three days ago lying down with head upright, breathing heavily, grinding his teeth, and foaming at the mouth a bit. The galvanized can of chicken feed had been nudged out from under a heavy table and the lid pushed off. I had sprained my ankle and because my husband had to go out of town, he moved it to this new location so it would be easier for me. Wish we hadn't done that. I suspect he got into it, but didn't actually see this. It does contain copper. I immediately drenched him with water/oil/baking soda, put a stick in his mouth... It seemed to help a little in that he was up and about a little more. The next morning, he re-joined the rest of the herd, but was still lethargic. He is drinking water and has pooped, although they are tiny turds all clumped together. Now he tends to stand in front of the salt lick and licks it. He hasn't eaten any hay in three days and is lethargic. I gave him some NutriDrench (only 15 ml in case it wasn't right for him) last night, and today I gave him 20 ml. He weighs between 85-95 pounds. We checked his gums and eyes and did not see any yellowing. I'm not seeing any improvement. I'm beginning to run out of hope and ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. He doesn't appear bloated, although his fleece is so thick and long, it's hard to see. We dug our fingers into the wool and he didn't really feel bloated. We only checked the eyeballs which appeared normal. We'll check the lids and temperature tomorrow morning before going to work. It's dark out now and I'm worried I won't be able to see right even with a headlamp.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
He will probably be ok once he gets over the "upset stomach".
Just make sure he doesn't need a worm treatment.
It might help to use loose minerals instead of a "salt lick" if by that you mean a block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Where do you get your loose minerals from and what do you recommend? I just called all the feed stores close by and all they have is for goats. I'm looking at Premier 1 website, but not sure what to get. I just saw the wether nibbling on some hay!!!!!!!! I know he's not out of the woods yet, but I am so happy. I still don't know what's going on with him, but I do want to rule out mineral deficiency. I can't thank you enough for responding and giving me hope!!! Thank you so much!!!
#update I just ordered from Premier 1. It's on backorder, but I guess I'll just keep giving him a little NutriDrench until it arrives or starts to thrive?
Selenium & Iodine Premix + Vitamin E Booster

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Where do you get your loose minerals from and what do you recommend?
Any decent feed store can get goat minerals.
They can order it even if they don't normally keep it on hand.

Most of the blends are very similar so brands don't matter too much.
With their small tongues, it's hard for them to get enough by licking a block.

If you can't find any close by, use a hammer and a chisel or large screwdriver to break pieces off your block and crush them up into small pieces.

It's a good sign that he's eating hay, and if he's parasite free, he should get better soon.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Agree with Bearfoot. You can also drench with a few tablespoons of baking soda in water or even use pepto bismol. Its a good use for that bottle of cherry flavoured you bought by mistake. Sheep hate it as much as people though. You can leave baking soda out as a supplement although it will harden fast. Comes in big bags here. They pick at it once they are accustomed to it being there. Have loose salt and mineral available at all times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the tips! The wether is doing much better now. I had given him the baking soda/water/oil drench the first two days, then gave him some NutriDrench on the 3rd and 4th days. Yesterday I gave him yogurt with active cultures after I saw him nibbling a tiny bit at some hay. Today, he is definitely eating hay, drinking water, hanging with the herd...I'm still waiting for his poops to get bigger, but I think that will happen now that he's eating more. I finally found a feed store 1.5 hours away that has free choice minerals for sheep. They were closed today, but I'll drive there tomorrow to pick them up. Thank you so much for all the great tips. It really helped me so much! "Cherry flavored" pepto bismol... ok, now THAT'S funny! haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts