Wether Lamb with Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by CrownPoint, Jul 11, 2006.

1. CrownPoint

CrownPoint Well-Known Member

3 month old wether lamb with severe diarrhea. He has been fine up until I started feeding a little grain. Was supplementing grain as we are limited to pasture to put them out on. No one else has the "runs" just him. Suggestions?? Stop grain feeding, put them on medicated feed, drench everyone(Ivomec), your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ron
    Crown Point Dog Supply
    http://www.crownpointkennels.com

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Ron,
    We don't grain feed over here so always find this sort of question a little difficult.

Have you drenched these lambs since weaning? If not, do so and then do them again in another 6 weeks.

Your idea of limited pasture may not be their idea and if they are all looking in good condition, I would be tempted to withdraw the grain and let them get on with grass. It is amazing how well sheep do on what looks like very little.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Yes, pull all grain...feed hay til it it clears. If he were mine, I would worm with Valbazen or Ivomec, Make sure he is up to date on him Covexin 8, and take a sample to the vet and have a McMaster Floatation done to rule out Cocci. You can give Probios to help while he scouring.
    I hope he feels better soon...

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If the sheep have their noses to ground, there is enough to eat. When they run out, they will be baa baaing at you. I do not feed grain at all when they have pasture, except to the pregnant ewes.

5. CrownPoint

CrownPoint Well-Known Member

It has been two days since I have not given a grain treat in the morning. The lambs diarrhea has gone away. I also drenched everyone with Ivomec. But the "spoiled" adults are baaing. I don't think it is because they are hungry, just spoiled. Do you agree?

Anyhow....I ordered a bunch of things for my medicine bag, even though I want to do things as much as I can without meds, I want to have them here in case of a sickness. I don't want to loose an animal because I am not prepared.

Thanks for your help...this is a wonderful board.

6. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

We grain,grain,grain here :p
    and alfalfa AND irrigated pastures...but they were brought up to the amount they are on slowly, starting out as lambs on creep feeders free choice.
    I'm just one that doesnt like my animals to have to support themselves on pasture alone.
    I'm so glad he is better! Make sure his Covexin8 is up to date (enterotoxemia is such a problem with grain feeding otherwise ) and slowly reintroduce to the grain (if you do. )