Wet

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Mar 24, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Do you Guys always find it a little wet to plant this time of year,but try to get some early stuff in anyway?

Plus I'm working my ground deeper getting down into clay,I'm thinking this is better.Am I right?

big rockpile

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I don't farm on the scale that some of ya'll do, so my advantage is that raised beds are easier to weed when it's wet, and I can just make little slits in the soil with a trowel and plant whatever I want to, whenever I want to. The downside is that in Texas you have to be FAST to get in cool weather crops, probably got my second planting of peas in much too late, AGAIN!

hollym

3. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Yep you are right rockpile, it's too wet to plant. (more rain today! :no:) and I am itching to get out there. I do have raised beds, but they are still too wet. Digging down into the clay is a great idea, it will allow more air into the soil and improve your drainage. Plus it is SUCh good exercise!

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Yep...8 inches of white stuff wet :waa:

5. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Definitely too wet this week. I got peas, spinach and beets in about three weeks ago, but so far only the spinach is coming up. Probably have to replant the peas and beets, I guess. We had hoped to do our potatoes this weekend, but that plan is now out the window.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I am going to trundle outside and get the peas in for now, maybe the spinach and turnips as well... Hm. I also have a packet of parsnip seed, but I am thinking that I will plant that up at the farm: out of sight, out of mind, and it won't be taking up space in the home garden.

Pony!