Wet Weather this Fall?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Nov 25, 2006.

What's your weather like?

1. way below normal rainfall-drought conditions

2. below normal rainfall

3. about normal for season

4. above normal rainfall

5. we're floating away!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with my sister who lives in the midwest...she said they've got drought conditions. On the other hand, we've had 10 inches of rains as of this mornning, just for the month of November.
    I'm just curious. I wonder how many of our sick posts spike when weather gets worse, or is just "unseasonal". I am guessing drought would cause less problems like parasites, etc. that lots of wet weather brings. Any thoughts

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I think we're way above average this year - and up to the eyeballs in mud!

I've had one horse with bad rainrot, two so lame with abscesses they were on three legs, and the goats got out today for the first time in about two months. If we don't get out first thing in the morning when the ground is still frozen to drop round bales, we spend the rest of the day trying to get the tractor unstuck.

I'll be glad when it freezes and we get some snow on the ground!

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Since the beginning of October we've had 37" of rain. 3X the normal amount. We've been under flood watch 3 of the last 6 weeks. Rubber boots are mandatory.

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Sounds more like you need rubber BOATS!

5. DoubleBee

DoubleBee Well-Known Member

We're under by 8 inches for the year. Add that to the 8 we were under last year, and that makes for dry conditions here in central Illinois.
    Good for farmers getting in the fields, but stinks for those with shallow wells.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

about like pooks only worse as China Lake water table is 1 foot under ground on an average year, I've got a doe with some rot going on...putting the shur hoof on her....my lawn has been a lake most of the year...Maine

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

8. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Way above average rainfall here and no end in sight yet! It's pouring again today. We've had flooding locally and the rivers are still running very high. So far my animals are still well and healthy. We do have very sandy soil, which helps a lot, and some of the goats are staying in the barn in stalls on deep bedding, snug and dry. No signs of sniffles, colds or hoof rot. Keeping everyone well trimmed helps, and having all of them well fed, UTD on vaccinations, wormed, cocci treated, minerals and soda available free-choice, etc. The rain makes it more of a challenge, but still doable.

9. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

In Anchorage we are hovering around 0 for a couple weeks+ and only 3-4 inches of snow. Lots of fronts going by, all cold. It can be 13 above and 2 hours later 9 below. This is January/February weather. I hope it changes so I can ride my snowmachine. No time or snow last year. I don't even have any riding skills yet. Almost a waste of money and it takes up too much storage space.

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

It's been well above normal rain since spring in western NY. October my area had over four times normal amount. Not much of a summer. Finally have dry Indian summer here for the past week - gorgeous. But winter's a comin' next weekend they say. For me, the worst thing about rain is the muddy mucky pens!

11. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

D2 Severe Drought...2 Years worth. Putting all my beehives on trailers to move them to another area next year if no change.

12. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Right now it is sunny and gorgeous; yesterday at this time, I was madly ditching the buck pen as the french drain from the back yard was leading torrents of water right through his pen...it was a true deluge.