Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 20-25 square bales in a barn, that I THOUGHT was water proof, we got a lot of rain today and some of the outer bales got wet, is this hay ruined now for cows? I read conflicting arguments when I search the internet, looking for some input. Thanks

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled out a few of the bales that looked like they got the wettest and went ahead and fed them and they were still fine in the middle. No complaints :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hay that catches fire is hay that was put up green and wet heat from curing causes that. Depends on type of hay, we had a couple cows die years ago because we threw some old wet moldy clover hay in a gully and they ate it.

·
Banned
309 Posts
Yes hay that was stacked damp or wet most definitely will catch fire. Wet hay also can and will catch fire if it gets wet inward. Think of compost and what happens if not turned. Seen it enough to know its not worth the risk. It doesn't always happen but I've seen hay catch after getting wet.
Glad you fed what got wet. Better safe than sorry. Not surprised there weren't any complaints. Lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have about 20-25 square bales in a barn, that I THOUGHT was water proof, we got a lot of rain today and some of the outer bales got wet, is this hay ruined now for cows? I read conflicting arguments when I search the internet, looking for some input. Thanks
Look at the bright side here in the hill country with the rain we got in the last 2 to 3 weeks everything is getting green again ….

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most definitely, all the rain we have had this year has been a blessing, I know a lot of ranchers around here that are getting a 3rd and 4th cutting. Good for us that are going to feed out this winter because there is a surplus of hay.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I half shoveled, half piled up wet straw from a pig pen once planning to bring in a skid-steer to empty it out. I didn't get to it and I had a 2-foot high pile of steaming pig urine a couple days later. It felt like opening an oven when I scooped it out by hand. Even a small pile of wet hay or straw can generate a LOT of heat. I think the only reason I didn't have a fire was that all of the straw was wet and there wasn't enough dry fuel for it to catch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts