Homesteading Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Barbecue steaks directly underneath the vegan tree huggers😆
This actually happened on Roderick Island in 97 or 98. Greenpeace came on the island and climbed onto some logging towers and set up shop.
So the camp/ logging supervisor did put out a bbq and beer close to the tower and for a week taunted them. They also blocked access to the equipment so the protesters could not be resupplied.

·
Registered
28,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Again not economical. Would it work? It might. But when a big forest fire gets going, it can send sparks a couple of kilometres to spread.
Are you a forester or an Indian agent?

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,696 Posts
Why would you ask a question I already answered and then try to insult me because of your mistake?

You never really answered the question he asked:
Would proper forest management thin the trees via logging?
Have you ever logged on a mountainside? Understanding the cost/benefit of thinning versus patch logging is important to take into account. It does not pay on most mountain slopes and does nothing to clean up deadfall .

·
Registered
399 Posts
This actually happened on Roderick Island in 97 or 98. Greenpeace came on the island and climbed onto some logging towers and set up shop.
So the camp/ logging supervisor did put out a bbq and beer close to the tower and for a week taunted them. They also blocked access to the equipment so the protesters could not be resupplied.
Good for them! Sounds like he had the right idea to shut the protesters down fairly fast

·
Registered
399 Posts

Some info and links in it.
I'm still reading up on the management stuff right now.

I know cold kills the beetles, but conversely does fire kill them also? Say you cut down and burned a few infested trees, does this also reduce population? This relates back to my original question of whether fire suppression may actually be helping the beetle populations.

And also. Regarding beetle killed timber, would those standing dead trees when milled produce lumber with a lot of holes in it? I understand these are supposed to be bark beetles but my question as to the quality of beetle killed timber remains.
Finally, if the quality of beetle killed timber is good then what on earth is killing the local trees here and making anything milled or cut into firewood look like Swiss cheese? There is no way the killed trees here are saleable

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I'm still reading up on the management stuff right now.

I know cold kills the beetles, but conversely does fire kill them also? Say you cut down and burned a few infested trees, does this also reduce population? This relates back to my original question of whether fire suppression may actually be helping the beetle populations.

And also. Regarding beetle killed timber, would those standing dead trees when milled produce lumber with a lot of holes in it? I understand these are supposed to be bark beetles but my question as to the quality of beetle killed timber remains.
Finally, if the quality of beetle killed timber is good then what on earth is killing the local trees here and making anything milled or cut into firewood look like Swiss cheese? There is no way the killed trees here are saleable
In normal times, beetles are controlled by fall and burn. But this infestation got so large so fast, that did not work.

The shelf life for beetle killed timber is approximately 15 years. Basically that means it is salvageable for 15 years. The beetles only attack the inner bark so the wood is not attacked as such. But over time rot sets in or the trees blow down.

Not sure what is doing your trees, but it sounds like wood borers, which bore into the heartwood and do make it useless.

·
Registered
399 Posts
In normal times, beetles are controlled by fall and burn. But this infestation got so large so fast, that did not work.

The shelf life for beetle killed timber is approximately 15 years. Basically that means it is salvageable for 15 years. The beetles only attack the inner bark so the wood is not attacked as such. But over time rot sets in or the trees blow down.

Not sure what is doing your trees, but it sounds like wood borers, which bore into the heartwood and do make it useless.
Thank you for the explanation. There is certainly something besides bark beetles getting the local trees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I belong to a group representing farmers and ranchers. I posed this question -

Can you folks in CA, WA and OR give us the straight story?
Are the wildfires due to poor forest management, an unusual dry season or a real long term shift in climate?

I got over 100 response in less than 5 minutes. The responses are still pouring in.

The almost unanimous response, opposite of what Governors in those states say:
Poor Forest Management
Here in lies the problem they keep putting out the fires so the under scrub overgrows so the fires burn hotter and kill trees if they quit putting out the fires the Under scrub wouldn’t get so overgrown the fires wouldn’t Burn as Hot and Would probably go out on their own and there are a great many trees that need fire in order to grow properly in order to get the seed to germinate

·
Registered
28,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
In 1859, Los Angeles County recorded temperatures of 133 degrees F while ‘record-breaking temperature' claims made by CA Governor Newsom at 121 degrees F.

·
Registered
28,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Big fat Dah

“For over a century, firefighting agencies have focused on extinguishing fires whenever they occur. That strategy has often proved counterproductive,” the Times reports. “Many landscapes evolved to burn periodically, and when fires are suppressed, vegetation builds up thickly in forests. So when fires do break out, they tend to be far more severe and destructive.”

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, the suppression in itself is large part of problem. Some arrogant ass people moved to areas that burn from time to time, built long term, stationary houses and cities, then tried to stop the forces of nature. Derp. It's like trying to stop a hurricane. Or a tornado or earthquake or tidal surges
... you get the idea....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Poor Forest management is # 1 . The drought contributes to that and Scientists say we have global warming . 2 of the biggest fires were in the coastal range near San Jose and it is all private ground that is primarily used for cattle These areas have nothing to do with Forest Management it was simply lightning strike that set these areas on fire .The tree huggers won't let the loggers go in to clear the dead tree's that are dying from drought and the Bark Beetle. The drought is a breeding ground for the beetle. The Federal government owns 57 % " So I am Told" of the forest and they need to contribute to the fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Which forests ... California has State forest land, private forest land and very much Federal forest land. If trump is going to whine about management, he'd better get a crew, or crews, to get busy on the federal forest land. As you can tell, his blaming democratic governors is nothing more than a political cheap shot ... but who would expect otherwise from trump?

121 - 140 of 148 Posts