western WAshington

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tom Myers, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Tom Myers

Tom Myers New Member

Would anyone know which counties in western Washington allow one to live in a travel trailer or RV ,and then later put a mobil home or build a house as you can afford it. I am looking for 5 to 10 acres or more if any one knows of something for sale in western washington for around 50,000. or less. I drive bus in Seattle part time and have 4 days off to devote to homesteading.

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Don't think your going to find much west of the mountains that cheaply, prices in Whatcom, King and Skagit counties have gotten outragiously high.
    We have a farm on twenty acres in Whatcom with just a house and small barn and its appraisal runs around $450,000. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A bare 5 acre lot in the low wetlands behind us was sold recently for just over $100,000.
    South of us is even worse, you probably stand a better chance over on the East/Central side near Twisp, Wenatchee or Chelan, but even that is being snapped up as resort properties these days.
    Good luck.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Whereabouts are you, herefordman? I'm near Maple Falls, and those sound like the prices I'm seeing around me! We chose to buy here because we couldn't afford anything closer to Seattle.

For $50K or less, I'd look at the peninsula. Maybe something in the Aberdeen area???? You might find something south of Olympia and north of Vancouver. Whether or not you're able to live in a trailer while you build depends on the specific zoning of the land you buy, and each city has it's own rules and regs. A really competent real estate person (yes, they are out there) should be able to help you figure that part out.

4. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We are on the Skagit/Whatcom border. Land here too is high priced, way more than 50,000 for 5 acres. Putting a trailer on land wouldn't be a problem in a lot of places around here. Down the road from us are 'horses only' 5 acre tracts but they are going for over 100,000. Some divisions have covenants and some don't. Its an awful drive from here to Seattle though, traffic is the pits. If you don't mind a long drive you might check out Concrete area in Skagit County, its a bit cheaper.

5. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I'm in Skamania County. If you would consider Southwest WA that might be an option. There is land around Skamania (the "town") in Skamania County..it's very rural. Then there is Klickitat County...Goldendale - dirt cheap land..Appleton, Kittitas..etc...Lots of farming land out there.

HTH.

BlessedMom

6. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Might try Mason county.

7. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

We have a place near Blaack Mountain Ranch not too far from Maple Falls Jen.
    Guess it did sound familiar huh ?

8. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

My place is in Grays Harbor County, and for what your describing I don't think your going to find it for that price. Although, if you can come up with a little more money, and are willing to come down in your land requirements you may be able to find something up in the hills. It's quite a drive to the Seattle area from Grays Harbor though. Are you planning on keeping your current job, or perhaps switching to something closer to where your living?

9. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Wahakiakum county along the beautiful Columbia river. Don't need building permits to build every little thing, and it is ok to live in RV. There's a realty in Naselle (which is in neighboring pacific county) called Western Real Estate westernrealestateservices.com. If you are looking for bare land, or land with utilities to it, you can find some for 50,000 around here. Good luck!

10. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I just ran a search and found 123 parcels of vacant land 5 acres or larger from $15,000 to $50,000 within 1 to 3 hours of Seattle. Didn't check a lot about available utilities, wetlands, roads, etc., but depending on just how much you want to rough it, and how far you're willing to commute, I think the dirt is out there. BTW, in addition to working as a paralegal, I'm a licensed realtor edging into a career change.