WESTERN TN & KY,SOUTHWESTERN VA?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Jun 19, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Hi,we're still loking for a place to move.Could you please tell us about western TN and KY and southwesten VA.We're looking for an area with jobs,affordable wooded land,nice people,deer,access to health care and hopefully snow.I've read some real nice things about eastern TN.I'm going to post some other areas also.Thankyou all again for your help.The information that you all posted on VT and NH was very informative,BASIC.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you considered Northwest Mississippi? We live 35 minutes out of Memphis, TN...an easy commute for my husband, plus there are some good industries in local towns. While we don't get a lot of snow, we do get a bit from time to time. The place we bought was much more affordable than what we looked at up in TN around Memphis...which is why we ended up in MS!

There's lots of wooded land around here with plenty of deer and wild turkey. My husband saw a turkey running up our driveway the other day!

There are a lot of nice large properties for sale around here. Hubby and I enjoy getting out and looking at them. Here's some photos of our place to give you an idea of what it looks like around here: http://www.funtigo.com/Ravenlost?b=285&c=1879&p=start

3. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Ravenlost,ma'am,thankyou for your reply.I belive MS would be to warm for us.One of the reasons I like snow is,iiplow it commercially,though I wouldn't discount an area just because of snow.I have heard real nice things about MS,AL and GA.Thankyou again,BASIC.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Perhaps you should consider West Virginia. I've live in northern Virginia and didn't really care for all the politics and restrictions there, but fell in love with Harper's Ferry, WV and the surrounding area.

SW VA and western TN are going to be pretty warm and not much snow.

5. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Ravenlost,ma'am,from the research I've done SW VA has mountains and they get a fair bit of snow,as well as western WV.The mountains of TN also get some snow also.The reason why I didn't mention WV is because I've havent found the job market in very good shape,unfortunately.BASIC.

6. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I'd check out Roanoke, Blacksburg, Lynchburg and Charlottesville, VA. Housing prices vary from reasonable to astronomic. But there are lots of jobs, more deer than you can count, elk are being reintroduced but I think they only allow 20 tags a year at this point, good health care, and the weather is quite nice. Tons of mountains and Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway,

Look at UnitedCountry.com - I did and all the area realtors sent nice color brochures with their listings. There are some great deals out there.

good luck!

Beaux

7. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Ravenlost, Thats one gorgeous piece of land! Plenty of sun, water, and woods. You got to have many types of birds that nest and fly through there. I'd be tempted to maybe try growing some different types of wild rice if its is hot and wet enough there. Do you have a maid or teenagers that help with the housework??? LOLs.....

8. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

We live in Amherst, VA between Lynchburg and Charlottesville. You wont find much snow up here. Yes there is a bit in the mountains, but it is very limited and usually not more than a few inches a year. People usually just wait for it to melt, and dont worry to much about plowing it. I think this year Lynchburg schools factored in 2 snow days.

There is a bit more in Roanoke and BLacksburg, but I wouldnt think enough to amount to enough work to exist on.

Good luck
    Alice in Virginia

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Suggestion: Find the plant growth zone of your preference. Then look at areas within that zone. Sounds like you want likely 5. Be sure to note there are some 'mini-zones' completely surrounded by another zone.

I am on the border line between western and central TN and zones 6 and 7. We get so little snow county doesn't even have any plows except for roadgraders. They just close the schools and wait for it to melt - which is usually within a day or two. They do put out a little salt.

On locations you will find there is a fairly strong reverse correlation between well paying jobs and a great place to live.

10. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Ravenlost,ma'am,I owe you an apologize,I belive you were right about SW VA not getting as much snow as I thought even in the mountains,I'm sorry I was wrong.A very nice lady who lives there,PM 'd me and corrected my poor research.Thankyou,BASIC.