Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
morning everyone,

Searching through the classifieds and online, I’ve seen many great potential properties but have also read about several counties filing complaints regarding plane noise.

I currently live in a small town and we have an airport but if you’re over 5 miles away from it, you rarely hear anything more than a rumble.

Does anyone here have personal experience in WV or VA with locations that are heavy in noise?

Thank you

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
I live 60 miles from the nearest airport with a military contingent. They then others from much further away dues a imaginary point in the sky just above my small town as a training Aid. It is not the least uncommon for church services to have to be suspended a few moments while jets turn circles around our water tower
Because of the nature of the reserves this is most common on weekends but flights can occur anytime day or night

·
Registered
81 Posts
I lived blocks from BWI (MD, not VA or WV) growing up and it was normal to have a conversation take a pause for 30 seconds to a minute while one of the big jets took off overhead. It rattled the old windows in our house but we got used to it. If I were moving to the country though, I wouldn't want the disruption.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Some airports may have noise abatement procedures for arriving and departing aircraft. Pilots follow approach and departure areas and and follow power settings, altitudes and distance requirements to reduce noise over populated areas. If you find an area you like, you could pack a tailgate lunch and go sit for a spell to see and listen. It may not be a problem to you if everything else is likeable.

Recently, I observed a military tanker overhead approaching to land at a base near where I was. It was low and slow quite a ways from the airport. I saw it before I heard it. It made almost no sound. I enjoyed while it was in site and went on my way.

I love the flying ballet in the sky and sound of airplanes is music to me. I wouldn't necessarily want a house right under arriving and departing airplanes close to the runway. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
If you buy, then need to sell, you will not have as many buyers if you are near an airport due to the noise.

I remember when developments encroached on Luke Air Force Base outside Phoenix. After a few years, they were up in arms over the noise from the base and tried to get it closed.

Stupid people.

Reactions: Redlands Okie

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I lived under a flight path of Chicago O'Hare Airport for 30 years. It was close to husbands work, that was the ONLY good thing about it for us. I guess if you travel a lot it would be quite convenient too.

The thing about noise and airports is they can and do expand and cause even more noise. They added more runways so the people that didn't have a problem 10 years ago, now do.

They rotate the flight paths at night, because of the complaints from the newly affected,or so I've heard, but that still means the noise will exist.
It is very surprising how a distance of just a few blocks can mean an incredible increase in the noise, and I'd stand out in the street in front of any house you may be considering just to get a feel for what you would be in for. 24-7 don't forget!

I'm not sure about military noise, but where I am now, we have fighter jets? fly over from time to time ( something we joke about, there was no escape from flight paths) They are very high up, and noisy too, so I can only imagine take off noise would be quite loud.

Our home sold quickly, as do most in the area, but personally I would never want to be so very very close to an airport again. Other people may find it attractive to be so close.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
morning everyone,

Searching through the classifieds and online, I’ve seen many great potential properties but have also read about several counties filing complaints regarding plane noise.

I currently live in a small town and we have an airport but if you’re over 5 miles away from it, you rarely hear anything more than a rumble.

Does anyone here have personal experience in WV or VA with locations that are heavy in noise?

Thank you
Not in Va. However I was stationed at Incirlik airbase in Turkey. Was there for a number of years. Stayed 15 miles off base. Never got use to the air traffic. Would never consider living close to an airport.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
The Greenbrier Valley if you truelly want silence.

Waiteville and Seneca get buzz runs. I’ve looked down into cockpits hunting. It’s rare. It’s rare because it’s remote. It’s used because it’s remote.

Charleston? Are you really planning a tomato garden there? It’s fogged in a lot, so bus/cab rides from Cincinnati could be the noise.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
In parts of Monroe WVA and Giles VA the military does low altitude training exercises. Fighter jets breaking the sound barrier at treetop level. Deafeningly loud. They will come over a mountain and be on top of you in an instant. If you are lucky you can see the plane and cover your ears for what's coming. Sometimes they goof and crash into a mountain, every 20 years or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live 60 miles from any major airport and 15 from a small rarely used airport. My specific location is located near a flight path so if you are outside during the day you get a little noise, but it's just like living next to train tracks after a while you stop hearing them.

·
Registered
18,291 Posts
morning everyone,

Thank you
Planes dont bother us here in east Texas. We see an occasional one up high. Not in the flight path of any super sonic jets either. Been here 40 years and never heard a sonic boom like I used to when I lived near Houston.

·
Registered
18,291 Posts
I live 60 miles from any major airport and 15 from a small rarely used airport. My specific location is located near a flight path so if you are outside during the day you get a little noise, but it's just like living next to train tracks after a while you stop hearing them.

We do have a train about three miles away though.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Have spent time in Eastern Virginia as well, near a simulated carrier deck. Touch and goes all day, pretty much bankers hours. Ten Tomcats in an a holding patterns taking turns landing and taking off. Constant roar. Every once in a while one would jettison fuel over crops and houses. Made for nice yellow spots in the corn, and shingles didn't last long sometimes.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Airports are nothing, it's the military that makes noise, and for some reason the Navy is drawn to the Eastern side of the state. And the Western side. The really scary stuff they do on the western side where there aren't as many people to complain, and where the people don't matter anyway, because they are Appalachians, which are pretty much a subhuman species. The mountains are good training grounds to practice evasive maneuvers.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Recently, I observed a military tanker overhead approaching to land at a base near where I was. It was low and slow quite a ways from the airport. I saw it before I heard it. It made almost no sound. I enjoyed while it was in site and went on my way..
Landing aircraft make very little noise in comparison to ones taking off.
You can land with the engines OFF. LOL believe me it WILL happen!
Living upwind of the airport is far preferable to downwind.
I have a runway at my farm and pass very low over a neighbors place when landing. She reports I have surprised her naked in the back yard several times on landing but on take off she has three minutes of warning.
And no Ive never seen her Im pretty busy at that point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Landing aircraft make very little noise in comparison to ones taking off.
You can land with the engines OFF. LOL believe me it WILL happen!
Living upwind of the airport is far preferable to downwind.
I have a runway at my farm and pass very low over a neighbors place when landing. She reports I have surprised her naked in the back yard several times on landing but on take off she has three minutes of warning.
And no Ive never seen her Im pretty busy at that point.
Hahaha, thank you for sharing!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts