West Texas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amarillo, Apr 1, 2006.

1. amarillo

amarillo Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here from West Texas? Can you tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about the area? What is the weather generally like in the summer/winter? Do you ever experience any kind of extreme weather conditions? What about home/car insurance rates? Property taxes?

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Wouldn't you have to designate north West TX or mid West Tx or South West Tx. That's a large area and each would be differnt.

My parents are N. of Amarillo by about 45 minutes and it is very windy there at times...

So I think you'd get more specific information with a better area you are asking about, but from your screen name sounds as if the panhandle area.

Angie

PS: Parents live on a "city" block in a little town of 356 people west of Dumas and South of Dalhart. There is a huge cheese plant going in the south side of Dalhart, and many cattle farms are coming in. And I've talked my parents into moving back to Alabama, so they will be selling their place very soon. Angie

3. amarillo

amarillo Well-Known Member

I am thinking more in terms of Midland/Odessa, Alpine, Brewster County areas.

4. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Let's see, duststorms, tornadoes, hailstorms.
    Those are extreme.

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I just bought 10 acres outside of Ft. Stockton in Pecos Country-about 20-25 mi W of Odessa/Midland. My place is on FM1450 between Pecos & Ft. Stockton. :sing:

I'll tell you more about the good/bad/ugly once I got through a full year of seasons. :) I had lived in Amarillo years ago and loved the people and the weather-ya even the storms. :eek:

I can tell you that the W. Texas area by Ft. Stockton is hot in the summer(99+), dry(-13" precip yrly) & windy. You'll have lot of cactus & creosote bushes, a fair amount of rattlesnakes, lightening like no where else and some incredible sunsets.
    It is a great place to try out wind power and solar as well as alternative building. Pecos county where my land is located has no building or zoning codes other than septic/waste disposal; so that leaves a lot of options open. :bouncy:

Pm me if you'd like some plans/links that I've found for DIY projects that seem suitable for that area.:)

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................I grewup in midland and finished HS in 1965 there . The elevation is around 2900 feet . Summers are hot but have low humidity which can't be said for the DFW area . West texas stops at Abilene in my opinion. The landscape around midland\odessa is flat and featureless but livable . A week ago I visited the local tax authority(on line) and was surprised at how much LOWER their property taxes are on homes and land . A friend has a 4,000 acre ranch 20 miles south of midland and total taxes on land were < 400 per year . Property taxes on a 250,000 home here in DFW area will run 4,000 to 5,000 depending on the area as some have higher taxes due to constant school construction programs and road construction .Property taxes in W.texas on a 250k home would probably run 1500 to 1800 depending . I would venture to say that the differential is atleast 50% lower in favor of w.texas . This is due to several factors , the population is rather stable , in that particular area there are fairly large ranches 2k to 10k acres and much larger that have been in families for over a hundred years which means that they ALSO have all the minerals and consequentially have OIL income ! So when you have money you also don't need to sell the Surface , i.e. these ranches are passed down subsequentially to future generations . When ranches are sold it will usually be as a Contiguous tract and NOT for Residential development . So , you Won't find little 5 , 10 , and 20 acre tracts scattered all over hell and gone with mobile homes dotting the landscape . The last and most significant reason that property taxes are Lower is attributable too the severence taxes collected from the production of oil .
    .................Now , were I to move back to w.texas I'd love to move down to Alpine . About 4,000 feet in elevation which is just about perfect in my opinion . It gets hot in the summer but cools down at night . It is dry with mountains in any direction you want to go . Very little SNOW so most days are going to be sunny which is very important to me as I hate cold and wet weather . Very few mosquitos because there just isn't enough surface water for the little SOB's to replicate themselves . So , I'll post this and then go find that realestate Agent's website in Alpine .
    .................http://www.jwcarpenter.com/ This guy has some of the best listings that I've found so far . Also , Alpine has a state sponsored college , Sul Ross State College . They have a very good Geology program and a very good teacher certification program as well . In fact , they also have several Masters degree level programs the last I knew . Be aware that Alpine has been "discovered" and property prices are rising albeit slowly ! The surface topography as far as the mountains around Alpine proper are not covered with Douglas Furr or Lodgepole pines rather it is mountain cedar and cottonwood and some oaks . There are area's in the Davis mountains with doug furr but they are located higher UP and in limited area's because the annual rainfall is so low . If I can think of anything else I'll add to this post or try to answer any questions you might have . fordy... :clap:

7. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

I had an uncle that lived in Anchorage, Alaska. After a cold spell where it was about 70-below, I asked him how he managed. "Ah" he said " It's not too bad; I'm just glad I dont live in Amarillo!"

Better make sure you can get water at a reasonable price. I hear T. Boone Pickens is buying up all the water rights in that part of the country.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Very true , but , midland\odessa is 200 miles south of amarillo , and Alpine is probably 350 miles southwest of amarillo . I believe he is concentrating his efforts in the Panhandle of texas rather than further south . fordy... :cowboy:

9. ttryin

ttryin Well-Known Member

Hello,

What are the qualities of the wind in Midland-Fort Stockton-Alpine areas? Where could I find charts for "prevailing wind" -- the wind that blows everyday, by season?

Thanks lots.

T

10. ttryin

ttryin Well-Known Member

Hi Fordy and All,

Have you been reading the Alpine Avalanche http://www.alpineavalanche.com/
    about development/water/real estate prices in the area?

T

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................ttryin , I have to sell my place then I'll get serious about looking at Alpine . I've corresponded with carpenter realestate and at that time they didn't have what I wanted which was 2 to 5 acs with NO restrictions . I'm planning on building a pole barn or simple wooden structure , very plain but with enough sq. footage to park a 30 foot trailer and a f250 superduty pickup . All the tracts they had listed had restrictions which I'm not interested IN . Lots of cheap land around Study Butte BUT very HOT in the Summer , No water unless U can Haul , etc . Plus , it's so dern FAR from civilization with gas heading for 3\gallon . I'm quite sure that once I sell my place and procure my trailer I would beable to find a small tract that I could purchase from someone that might not have even been listed . You have to just get setup and start looking .
    .................I am also interested in NM and Colorado so who knows where I'll endUP . take care , fordy :cowboy:

12. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

What is your water situation?

13. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

You might look around Branson, Model, Kim, and Trinchera Co.