West Il or E. Mo "communi-steading

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mellowdriver70, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mellowdriver70

mellowdriver70 New Member

Hey Y'all, first off love the forum and the mag. Am fervently working my way into the homesteading lifestyle and will be buying property by next spring to work. Haven't come across any good sites though to find those wonderful,VIABLE and affordable properties within 40 miles of St.Louis metro area. Thing is, I make a good living, but as an OTR driver, which leaves me gone from my land most the time, once I buy the land and semi-develop it I'll have to leave it untended for periods. I figured why not buy the land and allow similar-minded 'steaders squat it figure for tax cost alone. That way I get to have my land and a work out when home, and not have to worry about the land or the taxes. Just a thought and maybe a way to help others and me achieve our dreams of self-sufficiency. I appreciate all your input. Gentletruckinman

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well. you COULD arrange for a caretaker, or rent out grazing land to a neighbor.

I think the broblem of leaving a house vacant would apply if you lived in the city, by the way. My city-living MIL had a similar problem. She arranged for a roommate for $100 a month and yard work. It discourages troublemakers if someone is living there and keeping the lawn mowed.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

It's a good idea, but charge rent. Even if you save it all up and return it after a year, charge rent. Even if you decide they are decent folks and you decide to lower it, charge rent. With a contract, in writing, with the tools to help you boot them if they are deadbeats. Rent deters deadbeats. Freebies bring them all out of the woodwork.

Deadbeats can do a lot of damage in the time you are gone.

Jena

4. mellowdriver70

mellowdriver70 New Member

Appreciate the responses, understand bout picking (hopefully) good people. Have got a rental in the Bitterroot valley in Mt. and thank goodness,great tenants.

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

I am doing the same thing -- a frfiend of mine who is hurting right now stays at the place for free, and tries to do what he can to help out! Just be careful who u get! Good luck! And i dont charge rent, I take it in work -- hell my last place the neighbors would take numbers to rip it off as soon as my tractor left the front yard!