Were your parents...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cchapman84, Apr 2, 2005.

What were your parents?

1. Die-hard homesteaders

2. Country folk

3. Suburbanites

4. City-folk through and through

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

Just wondering what kind of folk everyone comes from. Were your parents homesteaders, country folk (might have dabbled in "homesteading" activities, had a garden, etc, but didn't really do it for self-sufficiency, or just lived in a rural area), suburbanites, or city-folk?

My parents fall somewhere in between country folk and homesteaders, so I marked them as both. They used to have beef cows, chickens, goats, have always had a garden, and they can/preserve everything possible, but it's more from pure enjoyment than an interest in actually homesteading.

Cameron in VT

2. Senior

Senior Active Member

Father's family were diehard country folk, raised horses, cows, pigs, chickens and gardens. Smoked and can their own meat, put up vegetables and lived a self sufficient life before it was called that, had been here for about 150 years. Mothers family came from Germany before the WW2 and were country people also.

3. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

dad was city but mom was more country..they moved us from the city to the country whe i was about 10 years old and it stuck with me.we raised all kinds of animals..but we only had 5 acres.theyve since divorced and both live in the city now..entire family is city folk..im the only country boy left in my family.

4. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

My folks were complete opposites, my dad was country boy and my Mom was a kid from town. When I lived with my Dad, we lived in a log cabin that he built down in the Ozarks in MO. Did the cow, pig, and chicken thing. So I guess I can blame al this on him. LOL

Nik

5. k grandmaison

k grandmaison Member

My folks were depression raised so they had victory gardens but Dad was in the army 30 years so I was always a "base brat". Mum would still rather have "perfect " store bought than dirty homegrown. They dont know where the heck I came from :no:

6. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Both my parents grew up on the farm and homestead. They didn't want to be tied up with such nonsense so they tried to be townies. Funny because every spare moment was spent working at someone else's farm.

At least we got to travel frequently, which is not something the farm owners get to do and I got to grow up with farming. It was the best of both worlds. My dad is still my best farm advisor.

7. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

City Folks. I got everything I ever wanted and still do.

Oh I'm a lucky dog, I'm just a lucky dog.......

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My Dad was the third generation farming the same land. My Mom was a city girl, but her Dad grew up on a farm. So I guess I got the farming bug from both sides.

Niether side were really homesteaders, though. The farm was (is) very much a commercial operation.

9. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

My folks were raised in the country and when I happened along I remember they always had a garden, chickens, one or two pigs, and a few head of beef cattle. So, I guess somewhere between country folks and homesteaders.

10. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

My parents and grandparents on both sides of my family were ranchers. The ranch I grew up on was, in fact, partly the original 640-acre homestead that my mother's parents homesteaded in southern Montana.

My father grew up on a cattle ranch in South Dakota that his father owned and some of that ranch is still owned and worked by one of my cousins.

11. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Dad was born and raised on a farm, Mom was raised in a small town.
    They lived on a ranch from the time they got married till Dad retired, then they moved to town and Dad got another job.
    That's how farmers retire, they just move inside to work. :haha:

12. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Mom & Dad were very much Country. I was the Oldest of nine,
    growing up on 60 acres of mostly hillsides. We had one 10 acre field,
    one 6 acre field and a couple patches along the creek.
    We had cows to milk & for beef, a pig or two, a couple sheep, chicken
    & ducks.
    Started working for the neighbors when I was 13, milking.
    Dad worked in Cincy. Mom was always home.
    I learned to take care of a lot of farm chores.
    Good, good years, growing up.

13. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

No. My parents had no background on farms. My grandad always wanted land and bought a farm at retirement age. Followed by a heart-attack a few years later. It was hard to watch him become helpless and watch him watch the place decay. But it was on his farm that I got the bug to have one someday - just to roam around freely.

Dad tried to get a homestead farm when he was 43 but at the end of the day mom nixed that. Probably not a bad outcome since Dad had no natural talent for farm husbandry. Still, it left him dead for a while.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I voted suburbanites, but I am not sure that really fits.

My mom grew up in town, but her parents, immigrants, had a huge garden and granny raised meticulously clean chickens for sale, grandad (I never knew) made wine from his grapes, they canned all their vegetables--there really was no lawn, just cultivated vegetables/fruits and flowers. And a long marble table under the grape arbor that was so cool to your cheek on a summer day. Mom had a huge flower garden growing up (wild and varied)but really didn't plant many vegetables, but then neighbors always gave us their overflow-we lived in a community with a school, drug store, VFD within the block.

My dad grew up in a rural area where his family had small crops, chickens, pigs, no cattle though. He must have liked that as he studied agriculture for one year in college. But he never finished college, it was important that he work and help the family financially. Boy did he love our place though. I can still remember the day he dug up one of my first potatoes and ate it just like that. He really valued our hard work on the land.

I sure miss them both.

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Both sets of grandparents were Plains pioneers, so my parents grew up in that. They both joined the military during the Great Depression and became city/military folk. Mom used to have a vegetable garden when we had the backyard to warrant it, and flowers when we didn't.

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Extremely country. They still cook on a wood stove, don't have air-conditioning, etc. I grew up helping to raise all our food, wearing homemade clothes, sleeping in an unheated bedroom, etc. They were country from day one and they have no desire to ever be anything else.

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Parents had little influence on the methods of rural living that I have.
    They did live on farm before moving into a regular house in town, and throughout their lives did many things that homesteaders talk about, such as gardening, preserving food, and my dad did many handy things including beekeeping and buying a neighbors lot next door to do more gardening.
    While a youngster living at home I developed my own sort of 'homesteading' interests by raising rabbits, pigeons, and hunting/fishing skills and love of the outdoors where it has led me to this day with those inerests on a more land based and outdoor expereince in some market gardening and fishing/bait related activities. I'm sure that is not something my pareents would have interest developing, or that they would want to move out of town like I have for the past number of years.

18. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Definately homesteaders. Just as they are today....Back then I think people were still lagging onto the end of the depression. It was a matter of survival. My parents did (and still do) what they had to, to get through life. I was raised on land that had been our family farm for 6 generations. By the time I came along we only had a small part (40 acres) of the original. The rest had been divided up amongst the original children. I grew up with all of my extended family and everyone looked out for each other. Everyone lived what we consider today to be the homesteading life. Only back then it wasn't a dream or desire it was survival and the only way of life any of us knew.Keep in mind that back then we had no TV...So, we knew of nothing else.....As an adult, I left and went to the city life thinking I wanted better.....Only to discover that I had it all already.

19. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

My parents were from a small SE IA town and grew most everything, canned, acquired whatever they needed. I remember my father buying 2 weiner pigs and a friend in the country raising them then they each had one butchered. He always hunted even had coon dogs a while. My mother sewed all the time. I would pick dresses out of magazines and she would make them. I picked up all the skills and for my college graduation my parents asked what I wanted. I asked for a pressure canner and still use it today. My mother gave me all her mothers blue caning jars. When my sister finally learned how to can, I gave her some of them. We have a large garden and it seems to get bigger each year!

20. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Dad was raised in a farming family and Mom grew up in a small town. Dad still farms today...Mom passed away last October, but did a bit of "homesteady" stuff for Y2K. Dad uses all he can for as long as he can for as cheaply as he can. Mom was quite the consumer.