We're the fattest!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by primroselane, Dec 15, 2006.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Americans consumed more than twice as much high fructose corn syrup per person as in 1980 and remained the fattest inhabitants of the planet, although Mexicans, Australians, Greeks, New Zealanders and Britons are not too far behind.

At the same time, we spent more of our lives than ever — about 8 1/2 hours a day — watching television, using computers, listening to the radio, going to the movies or reading.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4404074.html

What will we look like in another 50 years? A big ball with a head, hands and feet?

I was somewhat surprised the Germans, Slavs, and Scandinavians didn't make the Fatso list. Guess they send all the Chubistas over here. And speaking of Chubistas, I grew up among Mexican-Americans and I was 30 before I first saw a fat one. I think it would be interesting to see a fat Oriental. I hope I live long enough to see that.

I feel sorry for some older toilets. What will the toilets of the future be like? Will toilet paper needs put a strain on our forests?

2. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I've gained about 5 lbs. this past month eating these Christmas goodies I've been baking and sitting here at the HT forum! I guess I'd better get off my duff and start getting some things done. :1pig:

3. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

We are not a country known for moderation. The work diet should be banned, it is a lifestyle change. Do I eat treats, yes I do. Do I eat them every day, no I don't. I am quite picky about what calories I consume. And the cause is right in the same report, inactive people.

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I have had my share of malted milks. Wow I bet some of them I mix up are over 3,000 in calories. I just love a Triple Chocolate Malt. Don't know what that is? Chocolate Milk, Chocolate syrup, Chocolate malt power, made with Chocolate ice cream or if really want it DARK use (Double Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream). Yum. looks like mud, but who takes that long to LOOK at it :rolleyes:
    And just the other day I had one of those Monster Burgers at Burger King. 3 --- 1/4 pound patties on one bun with all the trimmings. hmmmmm 1500 calories, ah who cares?

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I can vouch for the fatness of the American public. Last month we got our latest resident at the home....all 540# of him. We have at least 10 other people over 300#. Where are the workers gonna come from who want to take care of these people? Backbreaking work. Even our rooms are too small to accomadate their oversized wheelchairs,walkers, bedside commodes. Thomes of the future will have to have lots bigger rooms...you can't get this man's w/c out the door with him in it!!!!!!! And I can guarantee in a fire he will be a goner....since we are instructed to save the ambulatory pts. first.....would take 8 firemen to get his out. Daily he asks if anyone is going to Sonic or McDonalds...just what he needs. DEE

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I just discovered that a kid of mine is sensitive to corn syrup - do you have any idea how many things corn syrup is in? It is used as a 'bulkening' agent in many of them. I'm sick of all the cheapo garbage they put into food to make an easy dollar, and then the power's that be getting 'concerned' about all the fat people. Not that any of your are in that catagory - just ranting. I happen to believe that many of these additives are addictive, and that they are in there on purpose. I also believe they really target children - to gain lifelong customers.

Granted, I'm not dumb - I know it takes over indulging to get fat. Just -after having kids that are food sensitive, seeing kids ALL THE TIME on meds for stuff, that very well could be food senstivities, but it is just 'too hard' (parent's words) to restrict their diet......'they'd just get it at school, blah, blah, blah', 'that's too extreme!' (to try to take them off of sugar, corn syrup, or caffeine, or food with dyes in them, etc.) And corporations can put garbage (ie NON FOOD) in their cheap foods, to make a quick buck......makes me extremely angry...

I just don't think some of these additives should have ever been approved by the FDA (I think that's the agency) to be put into our food supplyin the first place.

niki

7. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

I definitely think corn syrup and other additives are put there for addictive purposes; however, I have also been reading lately about "real" foods or organic foods. I think it is also true that additives and other "fillers" and bulking agents have been added to food because there is just not enough real food for everyone; hence, why organic things or "real" food without the fillers is pretty darn expensive in comparison. Adding all the fillers helps to not only sell more but to make food cheap, which in turn gives us the impression that food is cheap in general. That's why so many scoff at the prices of "real" food and purchase the fake stuff. Of course, along with the sugar addiction thing :)

8. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

On a rare occasion, my husband and I ate out at a Chili's restaurant recently. We ordered lightly, but I noticed the regular plates that most of the other customers were eating were not plates, but platters---rounded up and loaded with enough food to feed four people! I was horrified that men and women alike were eating all that food. Fried stuff, mashed potatoes, greasy-looking vegetables, rolls, all covered with thick gravy, preceeded by a big salad. No wonder they are so fat! They actually ate most of it!

9. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

8.5 hours in front of tv, computers, etc? Where does the money come from to fund these activities, then? I mean, someone has to work to pay for all those electronics, ya? :rolleyes:

10. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I read an article recently that when you add up all of the activities that Americans engage in on a typical day, it comes to 40+ hours. This is because of multi-tasking. For example, many people will spend time on the computer at the same time they are watching TV or listening to music.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Multitasking sitting on their butt! LOL :rolleyes:

12. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

No. Some people are fat. I have lived in other countries and there are fat people there too. So what. Choose not to be. Most people now live in cities. That doesn't mean we are all city dwellers. Don't confuse statistics and averages with reality.

13. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

Finding out I am a diabetic (in July) has made me realize that high fructose syrup and other forms of sugar not labeled as "sugar" are in nearly EVERYTHING we buy. Gads!!!! How did our food industry get so poisonous? It's nearly impossible to be sugar free!

14. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

So, because other countries have fat people, it means that we're not the fattest?

And if other countries have rich people, that would mean that we're not the richest either?