We're still in election season...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Sharon in NY, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

...but this time, we vote with our dollars. As you do your shopping this time of year (and 1/4-1/3 of all the shopping we do is done in a month and a half around now), remember what a friend on another list just reminded me. We're voting with our dollars.

Every time you spend money at a big chain store, you are saying "I'm glad you are here - build more of me." Every time you buy imported electronics or the latest bit of media, you are saying, "Make more stuff in China - I vote to move more of our economy out of the US" or "This is what is really important in our culture - I vote for Hollywoods and its message." Every time you buy something disposable, or energy inefficient, or wasteful, you are saying, "this is ok with me - let us go on making more disposable, wasteful, useless things." Every time you buy food that was grown on an industrial farm thousands of miles away, you are voting for giant corporations, poisons in the ground and wasting energy.

And every time you buy something locally made, you are voting too. You saying, "I want the money I can spare to serve people near me, not multinational corporations." Every time you buy locally, sustainably grown food, you are saying, "I vote to have farmers in my community. I vote for my food to be grown safely and humanely." Every time you buy something of high quality, efficiency and beauty you are voting against waste and for the unity of form and function. Every time you make a gift instead of buying one, you vote. You say, "I want to be someone who produces things, rather than just consuming them." Every time you commission a skilled neighbor or friend to make a gift, you vote. You say, "I would rather enrich you than enrich a corporation." Every time you don't buy something, you say, "I don't think this is valuable." Everytime you refuse to shop at the big box stores, and visit the local hardware or farm store you say, "I vote against them, and for you."

Now this isn't always easy. We've made it very difficult. But it helps to think that right now, the money we spend is in many ways choosing the society we will have. Vote wisely.

Sharon

2. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Sharon, this is such great thinking. I wish you would have posted it back in Oct. I think I would have made more of my Christmas gifts. But I am happy to say I have not visited the big chain stores this year but bought mostly in our little hometown. Trying to help the local economy. I ordered some too when I couldn't find them in town.

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Very good information. I hadn't thought of it that way.