We're moving tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Feb 28, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

(This is a copy and paste from a reply to another thread. I just want you all to know I'll miss you until we have internet access again.)

Ok everybody. It's happening. I've kept you updated on how tired I am. There's lots more to tell.

Did I tell you that my wife is claustraphobic? Did I tell you that I'm a really big guy? What difference do these characteristics make? A very quick, very funny story...There's only about 18 inches clearance under the center of our singlewide. There's just a single drainline coming out from under the house, right in the very middle of the trailer. I couldn't fit. My wife had to crawl under the house, on her belly, her face inches from the very cold, wet, sticky red mud. She got scared. She has recurring nightmares about being stuck in a coffin and buried alive. (She's from Romania, grew up about two hours from Vlad Dracul's [Count Dracula] castle and is very superstitious.) She started screaming for help. To get her out. "Robert, get me out now." I couldn't crawl under and rescue her. I bent down and grabbed her feet and pulled. With the first tug, her face went down into the mud and she slid right out with a nose full of very cold, wet, sticky red mud. I'm still in trouble.

Alabama Power hooked up the electricity today. I loaded up the Pionus parrots, an Amazon, the Nanday conuress, the Greencheek conuress, all of the cockatiels, the Noble Macaw and all of the quaker parrots in the car last night. I drove them with me to work this morning. I stayed at work until 2pm and then went to the new house. I unloaded them all. Got their cages all set up in the shed that was already there. Got them all fed and watered.

I flipped the breaker on the meter box that we installed Friday. The meter started spinning at an almost uncontrolable speed. Every light had been left on. The fridge came to life. It's been five weeks since that thing had juice running to it. I was stupid enough to crack the door slightly. There were the biggest, most flourescent green fuzzy mushrooms growing in there. I had promised myself that I'd leave that to my wife, but I went ahead and cleaned it to try to make up for the mud in her nose. The water heater is working. The heater is wonderful and quickly got the house warm.

There are three trucks backed up to our gate. We're loading them up in the morning and will start making enough trips to get this house empty. We've sold it to my step-brother and his fiance. They've both taken off of work tomorrow and we'll get the job done. I'm also off Wednesday so I can finish up then.

Now the sad news. We won't have internet access for a while. I'm going to miss you. I'm going to cry. I'm going to go into withdrawels and overdose on Mt Dew and Reese Cups and sit in a corner and rock back and forth.

Keep praying for us and thinking good thoughts for us. I can't wait until I sign back on and tell everyone how wonderful life is. I'm going to be online off and on all night tonight and will check again in the morning before we unhook the computer.

2. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

She might laugh later, right now it isnt funny but thats ok too. Just tell her if she had not put her face down in the mud she would have smacked her head on the bottom of the trailer and that would have been worse, maybe even stitches. Have you ever had stitches in your head? My hubby is a big guy as well and every time I get hurt and need to go the er we get seperated and I get "questioned" about "how it really happened". :no: I think I would have freaked out too, give her a back rub and tell her you're sorry and tell her she's had the first official accident on the new homestead. Then go buy her another goat. All will be well. :D

3. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Poor thing. Tell her I have to crawl under our house too, because I am so skinny. Only our old house, I have to dig a trench for myself to fit under the beams, and pull myself up crawling on my belly on the other side. Very, very icky. And only way out is to go backwards, feet first. Also, last summer, one of the baby goat kids fell into a sinkhole. I went down head first, with Steve holding my ankle by his belt looped around it (OUCH). He was sitting on the ground with his feet braced inside the hole, and I went to the end of the belt, and just barely got a leg of the kid. He dragged us up, me backwards of course. Next time I have to do that, I WILL remember to tuck in my shirt!

Have fun on your move, it's so exciting to get to a new place. :)

4. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Ack Cindy, I'm getting chills just thinking of all of that :eek:
    No WAY could I crawl under your house! :eek:

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

im happy for you its a lot of work but a happy time we still have till the end of the summer to move we cant waite

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Please e-mail me when you get settled. We live right across the mountain from you in Blount County....and I have covered all kinds of news stories around Ashville, Ragland, Pell City and Steele! please stay in touch! best wishes in your new home!!!!!

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

when you get to town go to the local library and use their internet until you are hooked back up and running. Love to know how things are going for you all !!! Good Luck !!!

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Definitely use the library internet...we are all addicted to every detail of your new life and you wouldn't want to be responsible for putting an entire forum-full of people into withdrawal now would you?

Tell the wife it was an American housewarming tradition. Mud up the nose is suppose to keep her from wandering away from the new homestead!

9. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Get thee to the nearest library to check in. I'm so happy for you. We hope to be moving in less than 2 weeks. Have fun.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Glad it is finally happening for you. You need to do something EXTRA nice for your dear wife to make up for dragging her thru the mud! I feel for her as I am very claustraphobic myself! I would have nightmares even THINKING of crawling under there. You would NEVER have convinced me to do it in a thousand years! After you clean the fridge, wash it down with vinegar and let it air. Then get your dear wife a big box of chocolates or something to make it up to her! LOL.

Do let us know how things are progressing! Eggs are in the bator here!

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you are one blessed man, there is no way I would have gone under that house, no way at all. i would be thinking snakes, just couldn't do that.
    but a nice new goat sould make up for part of that, Please keep in touch, and let us know all bout your new place, what it is like, how it is built, do you have land?
    all about it. and pray you don't get snow or rain tomorrow. this weather is rough for movin, will be thinking about you'll all day.

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thanks everyone. I never thought about the library. The power and telephone are being turned off here, at the old place, tomorrow. I have to work again tomorrow anyhow. I purposefully left the computer here, so I could write once last time...

I'm going to miss you all. I'll check in at the library soon. I spent the morning putting up a fence for Sam, our beloved pyr. We're bringing the last of the rabbits with us today. We'll be back here Sunday, after church, for the rest of the furniture.

Bye all
    Robert and Donna
    Jonathan and Daniel

13. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure when you will be checking in, but best wishes to you all in your new place. Very exciting times for your family. Let us know how you make out once you get settled in.