Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left Wednesday evening for Christmas with my family in Kentucky....

Boy what a SHOCK.... I told DH on the way home last night "it's hard to believe I came from that family"..... LOL....

They live for credit cards, run to the store 3 or 4 times a day (just because we forgot something), they actually threw away a whole turkey on Christmas Eve, b/c they were making more anyhow the next day :eek:.... I wished I would of been there that night.... Yesterday I gathered up the ham bones & turkey carcass before they could toss it.... I was looked at strangely for that.... :rolleyes:....

Anyhow, I am sooo glad to be home.... and back to my frugal living lifestyle.... I have the turkey carcass boiling off right now, and I froze the ham bones for now....

We did have a great time though.... It was nice to see my family, and spend time with my nieces.... They are so sweet.... Hope everyone had a great Christmas....

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Threw away a whole turkey!!??!! My grandmother, who was rich enough to have servants when she was young, would have been shocked and appalled! Waste is waste, whether you're rich or poor. The first phrase in Japanese that I learned from her was "Mottainai"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mottainai)

It was good that you were there to model a different approach for your young nieces.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We left Wednesday evening for Christmas with my family in Kentucky....

Boy what a SHOCK.... I told DH on the way home last night "it's hard to believe I came from that family"..... LOL....

They live for credit cards, run to the store 3 or 4 times a day (just because we forgot something), they actually threw away a whole turkey on Christmas Eve, b/c they were making more anyhow the next day :eek:.... I wished I would of been there that night.... Yesterday I gathered up the ham bones & turkey carcass before they could toss it.... I was looked at strangely for that.... :rolleyes:....

Anyhow, I am sooo glad to be home.... and back to my frugal living lifestyle.... I have the turkey carcass boiling off right now, and I froze the ham bones for now....

We did have a great time though.... It was nice to see my family, and spend time with my nieces.... They are so sweet.... Hope everyone had a great Christmas....
It sounds like you were at my mothers or brothers place for the holidays. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
cow whisperer, glad you had a safe trip and did you enjoy the rain? We certainly had some gully washers on Christmas Eve throughout the state.

I'm nothing like my brother, but when my mom and sister were alive, there wasn't much difference between the 3 of us as we all liked being together and doing the same things.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
same thing here. I have two half sisters I grew up with and another I didn't meet till I was 30 and she was 20. The ones I grew up with are so different than me. I'm close with the youngest though. The one I don't know real well seems to have more in common with me though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts