We're going to be building a milk room and

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TamInAz, Dec 27, 2005.

1. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

and a meat processing room on to the barn. What would be on your list as essential items/equipment for each room to make the jobs as easy and efficient as possible?

TIA

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

An easy meat processing room is an old refrigerated truck body. They are insulated,seal well, and if the reefer works they are a good cooler.

3. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Large doors with screens.

Running water and floor drains.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Think along the lines of what it would take to pass a government inspection is you were processing for the public instead of yourselves. I would think along the lines of washable walls, ceiling, floor, etc. I would want a floor drain to facilitate getting rid of the wash water.

I would want quite a number of large work surfaces.

At my age I would probably want an overhead rail to more easily move the meat from point to point. Either that or carts with large wheels that also lock once in position.

Perhaps two rooms, a cold chilling room, and one in which to do the processing. Perhaps a third with the actual freezer storage units in them. If you are going to can meat rather than freeze it all that would make some difference as to what I would suggest.

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

You'll want heat in the milking room if you're using a mechanical milker and not your hands. If you're using your hands, they'll stay pretty warm on the animal. The mechanical equipment doesn't work well when it gets REALLY cold. Once I discovered that I planned the calving in late March and dried off around Christmas but before that, it was a looooooong winter. ;) Hot and cold water with a drain in the floor in either room would be lovely

6. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We are building a milking room also. We are working with the USDA milk inspector for our area (call your local extension office). He tells us what he prefers to have and we work things out. That way, we have a much better chance of approval when we go for our final inspection. Regulations change a lot if you are going for a Class A or a Class B dairy. Check you state laws.
    Good luck. Sounds like a great project.

7. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

A good knife sharpener.