Went to the land

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Jan 26, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

We didn't make it out yesterday. My DD had to finish up a sewing order and it took longer than expected. So we went out today and got 12 trees cut and 3 of them completely de-limbed and all stacked except the one that's stuck in another tree. Also, my neighbor, who is building his house pay check to pay check, says I can have his mobile home for free to live in while we build. I have to get a waiver from the county to be able to put a mobile on there, but I think they will let me have a temporary permit. He will put my driveway in and dig my foundation for $50.00 and will give me as much instruction and help as he can. Things are really starting to look up. I am so proud of my girls. We cut the trees with a hand saw. I've never used a chainsaw and don't feel comfortable using one. My girls worked every bit as hard as I did if not more so and neverr complained. They smiled, laughed and had a great time. We can hardly wait for Saturday. We'll take the digital camera with us on Sat. and post some pics.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

sounds like a very productive trip im glad for you

3. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Sancraft;

I'm very happy for you and your girls. It will be alot of work but the payback will be so wonderful. I'm glad that things are looking up.

Your family is in our paryers. Good luck, I'm looking forward to the pictures.
    Jim in Mo

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

bless your hearts by saturday you will be sore to do much more than take photos LOL sounds like you have been blessed with a good neighbor too!

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

God bless that neighbor! Make sure you have a dog and protection with 3 ladies living there...get a boat horn and let your neighbor know if he ever hears it to come running with his weapons drawn. You'll probably never need it, but better safe than sorry.

6. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Sandra, what a wonderful neighbor! At long last, it sounds like you have the perfect homestead, and I'm happy to hear things are working out for you! Makes me want to pack up and move somewhere, tho, after years of following hubby from one place to the other while he was in the military, I get the itch to move every couple years! Great that you won't have to worry about what to live in while you build, too! Things are falling into place! Can't wait to see the pics--Jan in CO

7. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

It was wonderful talking to you last night and hearing all about your adventure with your girls!!!! You sound like such a nice lady I wish I lived closer so I could come out and help you.

8. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Sancraft: Sounds like you have made a great start but be careful of those trees, especially the one's that get stuck. When Jon and I were first building we got a really big tree stuck when the wind came up suddenly and it shifted. It was hanging there within inches of the edge of the house roof and the power line. It was sheer luck when it broke loose and missed both and landed across the driveway.

JAN: Thats a great idea about the boat horn and maybe I will do that at my place.
    As Im in a wheelchair, Jon is always worried that I may take a tumble or have a problem some day and not be able to get help. My old dog is not real good at the "Whats wrong Lassie...Timmy fell in a well thing". But a boat horn would be heard clear down the road to the little store I bet. Sure to bring someone running if only to stop the confounded noise.

9. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I love the idea of the boat horn too. My nieghbor was out working on his house yesterday and we left when we heard him packing up to leave. I didn't want to cut anymore with no adult around just in case something went wrong. We can hardly wait until Sat. My youngest suggested that we take the grill and some hamburgers and hot dogs, fruit and salad fixings. All we took is fruit, water and juice this time and we hit Ryan's like 3 truck drivers on the way home. I thought they were going to put us out we ate so much food. This is really soooo much fun. I feel like my life has purpose again. I think this will be by far the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life, next ot having my children. :D

10. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

DH and I are doing the same thing this coming weekend on our "raw" land! But, we will be using chain saws. I was leary of using one, but was living alone and had a lot of trees that came down in a wind storm. So, I rented a small one and learned. Then, my father bought me a 14" Stihl, spent several hours teaching me how to use it, including how to take the chain off and on, and how to sharpen it. We call my little saw "Mini-me". I've had guys laugh at my little saw, until they see how much wood I can cut with it!!!! A small saw has many advantages.... all those limbs are super easy to cut, you don't have as much problem with the end of the blade hitting the dirt on the far side of the log you are cuttin, and probably most important: I can use it for hours before my arms get tired because it's light. DH's saw is really big, and it's too heavy for me, plus way more teeth to sharpen! So, don't rule out a chainsaw if you can find a small one and a good teacher to help you learn to use it with confidence!

11. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Sondra, I am so thrilled for you! What a neighbor!! Getting a place to live, even if temporary, is just super. When can you move in? And all that digging for so little $$. WOW!!

Trying to learn about the chainsaw will go a long way to help you with that project.

Your girls sound like a real joy. You are a very fortunate woman and deserve to be proud of all you do.

I wish you the best and continue to pray for you all.

12. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Congrats sancraft

Sounds like fun