Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol..I had to..the kid wanted to go..now the kid is 17 and said "we have to..it's the last one and we haven't been before"..so I said "ok"..

the kid went on a date first..took this cute girl out for Japanese food and ice cream..loaned her serious dollars to buy a nintendo ds for her cousin who is in hospital dying of cancer..(I was sort of "What are you doing and hope you get paid back")..but it's legit..little kiddie is 7 and has some sort of hard core cancer..parents have no money, so..the Kid here ante's up to help out)..cute girl was like "blown away"..she's right nice too..babysits at the Church and all that.

so how could I say no? Especially since I am the MOM and he is the cool KID..that will be leaving home next fall for college and then I will be kidless for the first time since (well we won't tell how long ago it was, but it was awhile).

We had a blast..saw all sorts of costumes, played a word game, guessed how many Barts Beans were in the jar..met people from everywhere..yikes!! one cutie pie was talking to the Kid and she was very nice..from LA (no..not Lower Alabama)..and she got her book, came back to tell us bye..then left..2 minutes later comes running up and gives the Kid her email addy..uhm i reminded him that LA was clear across the country..

Had Starbucks..I seriously love Starbucks coffee..it's pricey..but heck..I could waste 4.00 on toilet paper..and not have near as much fun..lol..it's our treat and so wandered through the aisles looking for clues while drinking the white mocha latte with 2 extra shots of expresso.."guilty fat grams"..who cares..we found all the clues for the drawing to be held later this weekend. We didn't care if we won, we wanted to do the "hunt" - lol..and we knew all the answers to the Potter questions!

Saw a lady dressed as Hedwig the Owl..in full Owlish (real feathers) costume..saw people who looked like they stepped right out of a Harry Potter movie..must have spent serious dollars on costume rental. The little wee kiddies were cutest, and some just didn't make the 12:01 "book sale" and fell asleep..lol..

I believe we were number 386 in line to buy (they handed out wrist bracelets with numbers on them, then called in lots of 50 to line up to get book)..had cops there to keep the spoilers out of the store too..it really and truly was a madhouse, but a happy one..heck the loonies were all in it together..how could one not be happy (except for those who did not pre-order the book..they were not allowed to buy one last night)..got mine half price..so that was cool (and covered the Starbucks).

We got the book, he started reading it on the way home so I had to drive..we got home at 2:15..made for quite the long day..

now it's off to clean a stall, bring in a horse, and go get my bathroom tile that I bought a couple of weeks ago and couldn't haul home (was in the tiny car, tile needs a truck to haul it)...another 3.5 hour drive and the Kid..he'll be reading the BOOK..all the way up and back..

Lesson here - Spend time with your Kid..they grow up way too fast and then you wish you had made more time for them. We are going to Washington DC to check out the sights there in a couple of weeks - the Kid is a military history buff..so I have to tour all the war memorials..(I do not like war memorials - but I love the Kid)..so am buying some cool walking shoes and getting extra batteries for the camera.

Do silly stuff with your KID..it makes for some really great memories down the road.

Sidepasser - goes to bed before 10 pm..not used to staying up late. not used to parties either..lol..

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
I went with my kids too--wayyyyy past my normal bedtime. One of my kids really cleaned up on the trivia game. Our kids are so hardcore, they brought flashlights to read in the car on the trip home. They always read the book straight through from midnight until they finish--which was five hours exactly for one child. I was surprised how many adults not only came in costume, but stayed in character all night.Wow!

Side note: One of my children had difficulty reading early on and hated it no matter what we tried. Then in fourth grade they saw the first HP movie and started to read the book. It was an epiphany. Now this child is a straight A High school student at the top of the class who reads so much that we actually had to put a limit on how much money was spent on books out of allowance.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
My DD10 has read all the previous books of HP since April..... in anticipation of this one.... SHE IS A HUGE FAN.... We watch all the movies every chance she gets on TV and her dream is to buy all the DVDs so she has them whenever she wants them!!

She worked for her grandma cleaning house until she saved $25 so she could take me to the opening for HP and Order of the Phoenix.....

We didn't make it to the hp party because of transportation issues, but DH called from work last nite and said that HE COULD GET THE BOOK!!! I was blown away.... They had ordered 800 copies and he knew they wouldn't all go that fast!!

She HAS NO IDEA!! She is 182 on the waiting list for the first copy at the library... and I just can't wait to see her expression this a.m. when daddy comes home with the book!! (Not to mention the lifesize cardboard cutout he got from work as well!!! She is going to SCREAM!!!!

You are right, they grow up way too fast and I am trying very hard to have more fun and less "work" time.... :)

I will sit on the bed and listen to her read HP and NOT READ AHEAD OR FIND AN INTERNET SPOILER.... I want to be as excited as she is!!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I hate to admit this but went with my kiddo tooo, and he is 30, lol. I had more fun!!! We had books reserved for about a month and we had wrist bands I picked up yesterday morning. We were 25th in line for the bands which gave use the rights to the first group to get the book and go home. I am so happy to see so much excitement for a book. NOT a movie star, NOT a rock or rap group, A BOOK.
We decided to share a book and leave another copy for someone else. He has the book now and I am finishing 5 and 6 then will read it. So please no hints LOL.
I am happy to see so many others here had a good time with their kids no matter the age and bet alot of bleary eyed older people are drinking coffee this am.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
DH came home and we surprised her by ringing the doorbell and leaving the cutout for her to open to.... She couldn't believe it.... and then he hid the book in the dryer for her to find!! She CRIED she was so excited and thrilled and happy and estatic!

She has been reading feverently since he got home.....

DH laughed when he retold the story of standing in line at 12:05 with about 300 other people.... :) He was an employee so he got to check out privately so he could go back to work.... But he said it was so weird to be standing there with all those teenage girls, young women and a few boys.... I asked him if he ever thought he would be doing that in his wildest dreams and he said NO WAY!! :)

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

WOW..see how we are all "kids" at heart no matter how "big" we get or how "old"..lol..

we didn't do costumes, but we had fun looking at everyone elses! It is great when all these children get so excited about a BOOK..yep..not video games or such, but a regular, printed BOOK..

Just got back with the tile..whew, long ride, we unloaded and I am sitting still for a minute, then it is off to feed and water..

the KID is taking ME to the latest Harry Potter movie..he waited until he got back from his job so we could go together..lol.

I think if the movies ever come out in some sort of DVD set, I will buy them all just because of the memories I have of going to the movies with my son..

sidepasser - tired of driving!

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
I went because SWMBO told me too. Spent about 40 minutes waiting in line. Personally I don't think any book is worth driving 18 miles at midnight and back even though its a fun series.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts