Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dd4 has had issues with breathing every winter. I desperately need to get a head of it. I do not what soever want to have to rush to the er this year with issues. The whole ebola thing has me wound tighter then a cat in a pack of wolves.
Dr told me were so screwed. Our area if we get one person even suspected in our hospital, we is screwed. If we get a true case of Ebola we are so up sh creek it's not funny and to stay the heck out of the er.
good news is we should have all we need to battle dd issues at home. And word from the Dr to :runforhills:.
Boy in my Dr and nurses opinion, the Dr from NY has just set off a massive bomb. They are flippen. Their #1 advice stay away from big box stores and stay home!
thank the good Lord for amazon.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr was my regular dr. She is also an er Dr a and her husband is military. She is very level headded. I trust her and her opinion. If we get one ebola person here we will no longer have an open hospital, it will have to go on lock down. Next hospital is another 35 minutes away. That could be the death of some people. Dd if she is in one of her barking episodes. We are also a military town that is sending troops to Africa. Then they are coming back here.
The NY Dr. They are just mad so very mad over. "HE'S SMARTER THAN THAT" as they said. I agree. He knew better. He put so many people at risk. Their just hoping he was smart enough to cover when he sneezed and coughed.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had to share a tad with my nine year old...but my 8 year old granddaughter knows nothing about any concerns in life. She knows about things I am not ready to discuss with my child, but nothing about prepping, threats, skills.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
I have a friend that has a son that has had breathing issues since birth. She called his respiratory dr's office, that he has seen for years if not since birth, to set up an appointment like they do every fall....they asked her if they or anyone they know had been in West Africa in the last 21 days!!?? So is that going to be the next "standard" question.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We were asked the same thing and of course some sarcasm added in with "like you would know if you stood next to someone exposed"

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
My Dr is concerned as well. She's furious that people aren't being put in quarantine and commercial flights stopped.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
We are also a military town that is sending troops to Africa. Then they are coming back here.

I am in the same boat. Some have already come back (they were on the planning committee for the rest of the troops) and say they never got near it. But…:hair you just never know

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You didn’t ask, so you can just ignore me. Try giving her a garlic pill (deodorized, oil in a capsule form) every day. Six months should be long enough. Also, give her a good quality vitamin C (pill or crystal form).

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Interestingly enough, my friend who is an infectious disease epidemiologist isn't worried at all. She truly knows her stuff but said she'd comfortably fly in a plane, ride a bus and go to a big box store with Ebola around. Just do the normal "cold and flu season" stuff and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Kinda interesting.. Ebola is basically spread the same way as HIV and Aids is, Through direct contact with bodily fluids.. Aids is still somewhat of a death sentence... Ebola you have better than 50% chance of coming through it...

We still don't cower and hide because of HIV and Aids, but we do from Ebola?

·
Registered
251 Posts
We now know how exposure to HIV and AIDS happens and it is mostly by choice, exchange of bodily fluids during sex or using drugs with contaminated needles. Ebola is a different situation altogether, we don't necessarily get a choice in who or how we are exposed. That's what makes it a concern for me. Just like the 2 year old who had ebola and was transported on a bus back to Mali by well meaning relatives, no one on the bus knew that's what was happening and now they are all exposed. I know we are more knowledgeable and aware but if we saw a small child with a nose bleed in the company of an adult on a bus in one of our cities would we be alarmed? Concerned for the welfare of the child of course but would we jump off the bus immediately? I think most people would stay on the bus.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I work in a primary care clinic and besides an email with outdated Ebola advice and the CDC checklist, we have received no instructions. No asking patients where they have been etc. We don't have plans or gear should someone come in who should be isolated while we call the health department (an hour from us). We are in a rural area and my clinics are very rural, but still, there should be a plan and at least some PPE. I'm imagining shutting a patient in a room and no one goes in for an hour or more!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Kinda interesting.. Ebola is basically spread the same way as HIV and Aids is, Through direct contact with bodily fluids..
The similarity ends there. HIV doesn't cause the body to spew out vast quantities of infected fluids. If ebola was spread the same way as HIV those two nurses almost certainly wouldn't have caught it.

Technically, AIDS isn't even contagious. Only HIV is.

Aids is still somewhat of a death sentence... Ebola you have better than 50% chance of coming through it...

We still don't cower and hide because of HIV and Aids, but we do from Ebola?
AIDS is still a big killer for those who have it, but getting AIDS is much less likely these days. The life expectancy has increased dramatically in the last two decades. Used to be, if you got HIV you were almost guaranteed to have AIDS within 10 years and die within 2 years of that. That's no longer the case. With proper treatment HIV-infected people can now live a relatively long time and relatively high quality of life without it progressing to AIDS.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
If you see someone spewing vast quantities of bodily fluids, avoid them at all cost. Otherwise, you should be fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
We were also asked if we'd traveled to Africa within the last 21 days. It must be a rote question, because the lady asking had dh's records right in front of her and we've been in one doctor or another's office on an average of twice a week since 9/30. Don't think that would have allowed time to fly to Africa and back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts