Went to a Poultry/Small Animal Sale on Sunday

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ONThorsegirl, Oct 16, 2006.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Well I went to a Small Animal Auction on Sunday and I went planning to get an Old English Game Bantam rooster. We all know how that runed out!!!

We couldn't resist it. My sister wanted a female Rabbit so we watched the rabbits sell, prices were going about 30.00 for Tattooed Purebred Chinchilla's so we decided to bid, the rabbit was just noted as an American Chinchilla no sex. So we guessed we had a 50% chance of it being a female we paid 11.00 for it. I took it out to the van, and sexed him, IT WAS A MALE. So we have a very Nice Chinchilla Male. Great Shape and healthy, we went back to the sale and later on in the day we also bid on a Lionhead Doe. We got a Black Lion head Doe. Very Nie Doe, So now we need a male Lion head and a Female Chinchilla!!

Melissa

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

$11 FOR AN AMERICAN CHINCHILLA?! You lucky dog. :D Hon, you just paid about meat market price for an endangered breed...The cheapest Creme d'Argent I got was an 8 week old doeling for $25.

You should try getting in touch with the auction house and seeing if they'll give you the phone number for whoever put the rabbits in the auction...you might be able to get some more rabbits from the same person!

3. ONThorsegirl

Thanks, well at the present time, I'm not sure if I have the right set ups to start breeding or increasing my little bunch of rabbits. Since I'm away at College, and I'm sure my family wouldn't be too impressed if I came home with more animals. But once college is done I hope to increase and increase my Poultry breeds and get 2 breeds of rabbits on the go.

Melissa

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yeah, good point. :)

I'll probably be leaving for college sometime soon...goodness knows WHAT I'll do with all my rabbits! What's your major?

5. ONThorsegirl

yep, its only a 2 year course so I get back to the farm pretty fast, and beleive me I'm not complaining, other than that I wish I could be at home more often, to spend time with all my animals.

I'm studying Agriculture!! A Diploma in Agriculture.

Melissa