Went shopping for a yurt.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by StinkerBell, Aug 1, 2004.

1. StinkerBell

StinkerBell Well-Known Member

Went shopping for a yurt last Friday. Looks like we are going with a yurt on our property in Eastern Washington, the plan is to use it as a vacation cabin for the next few years and then when we finally can move unto the property use it until a traditional cabin is built. At least as of today this is our plans.

Now, I think we are going with a compost toilet system with a gray water field.
    I was wondering if anyone had tips or general info if this might not be such a good way to go. The Property is an acre with 120 feet of river frontage (with about a 30 ft grade from top of property to river) it has electric and phone to the property line.

Thanks for any shared information! Good, Bad or Ugly please share!

2. I suggest you wait for the Pyramodule site to come back up, unless you are in an extreme hurry. The price is about the same as a yurt (about $5000) but the Pyramodule is a more permanent structure using conventional construction materials. Here is a temporaty URL:

http://www.energy-efficient-house-plans.com/pyramodule-house-plans.html

Keep trying the Pyramodule main site for content to return:

http://pyramodule.com

I'm not affiliated with Pyramodule, but I intend to build one next spring. There have been several recent threads in this forum concerning the Pyramodule too.

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Stinkerbell, what county in E.Wa are you in? We have property in E.Wa too and have wondered about compost toilet and gray water systems but wasn't sure if it was code or not. If you are close to a river there might be restrictions on what kind of waste system you can use.How much of a snowload will a yurt hold up under.? Also where we are located there are LOTS of cougars, don't know if a yurt would be all that safe from cougars and bears.

4. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I live in eastern Washington, too! Near Walla Walla, to be exact.

5. StinkerBell

StinkerBell Well-Known Member

OK I accidently started a new threat yesterday instead of replying here.....I asked that it be merged. So I will Paste and Cut...

The Property is North of Kettle Falls (about 100 miles north of Spokane).

The property has fence around 25% we hope to fence the rest in, to help keep out Cougars and Bears. I know this isnt fullproof, but its a first line of defense.
    We have a Dog (nick named bear bait...oh please dont flame its a joke). So, between the Dog and the fence we should have some signs. the yurt has an inner lattice wood structure, is it Bear proof, NO. After living in Alaska for 5 years I have found not much is Bear proof(or even moose proof). The 12 gauge with buckshot is our other line of defense. I am more worried about the Cougars then the Bears. It's something that in the back of our minds but at the same time wont rule us in fear.

Seeing that we are on the river the Compost toilet/gray water seems the right way to go. Not so sure we can get permitted out for septic, and I suspect if we do the cost is going to be unreasonable.

Thanks for the tips on the Pryamodule Homes, I plan to read up on those tonite!