Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid $35 for it, a big round bale. Just curious, what are others paying in their neck of the woods?

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
What kind of hay? Grass, alfalfa, ditch weeds or? Also what size, meaning weight or diameter.

Also, what are you doing with it? We haven't bought round bales for several years. Big squares rule around here, except small cow dairy farms and horse owners like small square bales.

Peg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Western Colo. is getting $170-190 per ton. So a 4x4x8 (1800 lb) are $155 and up. Most are grass/alfalfa mix and not to many round bales to be found. Crazy huh???!

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Barn kept grass hay (usually bermuda & such) we pay $50/round bale.
It's got all kinds of stuff in it but our goats thought it was perfect.
There is cheaper, $35ish but set out in the elements.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
We pay between $40 and $55 for barn-stored round bales, depending on the size ... grass, sometimes with a little alfalfa, depending on which field it comes out of. We have to be very careful with alfalfa here though as it often does not get completely dry and ends up molding.

T

·
0 Posts
1 ton price on average here is $130 for grass hay and up to $220-240 for alfalfa and whatnot. I can find any size or shape I want, too.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Furholler, one of our neighbors has for several years put up our hay, put enough in the barn for our animals then pay us for the rest of our half. He owns the equipment and fertilizes the ground. Anyway, this year, he paid us $35/bale of just whatever is out in our field--mostly cool season grasses and some weeds. The bales are 6' x 5' and weigh about 1200-1400# each. We're in central MO.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Here in SWPA, I pay $45 to have a 1,000-lb. round bale of timothy hay delivered. The bales aren't wrapped or stored inside, so the outer layer is weathered, and there is some resulting waste.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Plenty of hay this year :) after a broke leg last year made us run short....we had to buy in Jan Feb and paid 35.00 for 4x6 round grass hay........not this year we"ll end up with 300 plus 5x6 rounds.......I don't like buying

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Bad hay year here! It's kind of funny that last year was so hot and dry but we had an abundance of very nice hay. This year, not so much. It's been tough to take in hay around all the rain. It was late getting the first cutting down. We just got our second cutting down out of the field today. It just wasn't worth doing small bales that our hay guy put it up in round bales. We just let him have both cuttings because we got no horse quality hay this year. Thankfully I forgot to sell all the extra hay we got last year because we're going to need to use it this year.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Grass goes for $120 a ton right now and alfalfa starts at $150 and goes up with quality. I figured my alfalfa bales are about $110 each. Glad I put up grass and only have to buy a little alfalfa for cold snaps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts