Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to be getting out of the goat business and then you let me go and do this? WOW... I thought you guys liked me!

The girls and goats are "training" each other well. The goats have the girls sitting, lying down and going to sleep on command now! We can't get them to do that for us!

They are all doing well and the initial shock of moving these boys is now over. They are eating like the proverbial horse, playing and seem to have mastered where their barn is. I really missed having them around!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, BTW, the breeder I got these guys from told me they were on a diet of medicated feed and I've always tried to stay away from it... any reason to continue feeding it? We never had issues in the past but he said his vet recommended the medicated.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use the medicated feed for about a month after moving them, then transition to creep. It seems to help, minimal expense.

Reactions: nehimama

·
Registered
299 Posts
Oh, BTW, the breeder I got these guys from told me they were on a diet of medicated feed and I've always tried to stay away from it... any reason to continue feeding it? We never had issues in the past but he said his vet recommended the medicated.
Depends on what it is medicated with. If rumensin, bovatec, or decoxx, it will help control cocci and that is always a good thing! All it takes is one or two kids with cocci to start the nightmare, and it's a whole lot easier to control it than to clean it up. Cocci also tends to show up during periods of stress.

PS I love the pictures! They are just too darned cute!

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Well, we TOLD you we're all enablers here! Great pics! Welcome back to the world of goats.

Reactions: BackfourtyMI.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to do this a little differently this time so I don't get caught up in the same mess as last. At the end of a year, the better of the two can hang around and the other will go to my son's place as a backup. I don't want to get caught in another big fight. The last time I got a couple new fractures that I didn't have taken care of and now they are paying me back for pretending they didn't exist. Thanks for the welcome back!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yes, it is obvious that you have taken all of the advice here and applied it to your situation...a home is not a REAL home until there are fat, satisfied goats lounging with the kids! LOL. Congrats! You made the right decision.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I love feeding medicated feed, have had great success with it the past couple years. In goat feeds, medicated generally means a coccidistat, not an antibiotic. In boer herds, its pretty much the only way to control coccidia without loosing your mind. :) I use it on my dairies as well and really like the results. You have to feed a good ration based on body weight to get enough meds in them for it to be effective, but once they're eating solid foods well that's not difficult, really.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are two Boer bucklings turned out on almost 6 acres of weeds, woods and grass, plus a cup each of cracked corn/alfalfa pellets a day... if that isn't enough grub for them they came to the wrong place! Never had a case of cocci here in the 12 years of having goats and never fed medicated feed to anything.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Up to you but medicated feed is same price as anything else and it can't hurt.

We have never fed medicated... even with chickens. I get my feed in a small burg here in KY that mixes cracked/whole corn with alfalfa pellets in the winter and just pellets in the summer. We add a little molasses to the mix when there's kids involved just to get them interested. This mix costs us $18 per hundred. It has worked thus far so I'm probably going to stick with it.

I'm not sure what medicated would run around here but since they have to truck in most everything else I'm sure they'd put it to us on price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts